Progressive Maple Challenge - Max II

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ok, so this tree is definetly at my house!
It was hard to meassure caliper because I didn't know where to do it, but it is definently 3" above the nebari.
I lost the other tree because of a mistake and the place sold it after having my purchase confirmation... but that is history, this one was cheaper and got a free 2" crataegus (monogyna???).

I did a 360 of the tree (large files 10mb at least), it still has a bunch of leaves but you can get an idea. Yo can see a straight branch that was grafted a year ago because of a lost branch.

barrosinc-360-inicial-acer-power-00011.jpg
barrosinc-360-inicial-acer-power-00091.jpg
barrosinc-360-inicial-acer-power-00161.jpg

barrosinc-360-inicial-acer-power-00251.jpg

The nebari has mayor issues... in mayor issues I mean seriously MAYOR! But here is a closeup 360 of it (large files 10mb at least).

barrosinc-360-inicial-acer-power-0010.jpg

Here is a possible front:

barrosinc-360-inicial-acer-power-00221.jpg
It is in a pot that doesn't go with the tree... I allready have on order a creamish oval 17" x 13" x 2,5" pot.

When the leaves fall down I will wire and repot and start healing scars.

I still do not know what to do with the nebari.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks thumbless and erb, I think this tree has a veeeeery long way ahead before being a nice tree... the leaves probably hide all the stuff that needs fixing. What to do with the nebari is the toughest decision.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nothing some approach grafts couldn't improve down the road. Who knows? Maybe you'll even be growing an addition trunk like the M5does for his maples. :D

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You could probably follow what Mach5 did in a recent post and graft saplings to the base to make new nebari...definately will require some work/time. I always try to remember that my trees are beautiful and I try to like them as they are right now. None of my trees may ever be finished...at least for a long time. And then some catastrophe will probably destroy the apex or something...lol. Gotta live in the present. I read some bonsai blogs and I know that sort of thing happens to even the best bonsai artists.

TL;DR - enjoy the tree and life!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks! yeah, I do like the tree I wouldn't have taken it if that wasn't the case. But it wasn't my first pick... this needs a lot of work for it to earn a special place.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Cool tree. I like it. We all have flaws. I'd be happy to put it in my yard and take care of it for you. Congratulations!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice Max. Maybe a ground layer?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice Max. Maybe a ground layer?
I am too scared to do that... Never have done it and don't want to risk my best tree by far.

I am thinking the tree isn't the typical maple so make the best it off what it already is.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then don't
It would give me the willys too. I just thought I would throw that out there.
How deep is the present pot? More than 2.5 inches? If you put it into an even shallower pot the base will stick out even more I'm afraid.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You can ground layer yes, but in this case I would advise against it. It may not have a "classic" maple nebari but then again who says it has to. I think the nebari has character and I would match my styling up top to match the character of the tree down below. In my opinion that is the key. Otherwise it will not work as a cohesive design.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So here is the tree with no leaves.
This is the front I like, it has the largest nebari and the least obvious reverse taper.
Barrosinc - Acer Alexis 2015 - 0010.jpg

Some other views:
Barrosinc - Acer Alexis 2015 - 0022.jpg Barrosinc - Acer Alexis 2015 - 0019.jpg Barrosinc - Acer Alexis 2015 - 0015.jpg Barrosinc - Acer Alexis 2015 - 0005.jpg

As you can see, it has a bad reverse taper, and the branches need a wiring urgently. The first image shows the recently grafted branch that needs wiring and thickness.
Also, there is a lot of scaring.

Should I wire now or after buds break? I read that these are so fragile with no sap, but then some people say wire in spring.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wire my trees in mid to late winter with no problems at all. Branch placement looks pretty good on this.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As you get more experience with the tree you can always chop the trunk some and do away with the taper issue near the canapy,and the bar branch down low(looks like)can be removed to help the inverse problem,its a good start I know you will do your best with it,take it slow my friend.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just a little carving on those lower-left scars will improve the look of the base.
At some point, I would consider growing out the a new apex from about 2/3 the way up and shortening the tree. It will increase the power and eliminate the bulge at the top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 131

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks guys!
@JudyB I was thinking maybe it had too many?
@discusmike and @Brian Van Fleet : I was thinking about chopping too... maybe in a couple of years when I have more trees that can be shown, for now this is the best I have. But the chop will happen. The base part is not so easy, as it is a root on itself and if it goes, the root system will have a huge gap, you might be able to notice on the 360 of the nebari.

Top Bottom