Progressive Maple...Trident Grown from a Seed

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Hello all!

I purchased some seedlings from Matt Owinga in Dec. of 2009. I killed most of them but about 15 survived my ignorance.

In the Spring of 2010 I planted the remaining seedlings in the ground and through plastic wood tiles.

The variation in the growth was tremendous...in 2 years I had several over 12' tall and most were about half that size.

I dug them all in the Spring 2012...did root work on all and put a few in pots, which were eventually sold, and the rest back in the ground.

In the Spring of 2014 I dug the trees again. Two went into containers and the rest back into the ground. The tree I am entering went into an anderson flat for further development...apex and branches.

Each year the trees in the ground were pruned at least twice...for some leaders were allowed to extend without pruning...others were chopped to build taper.

What I learned from growing out these seedlings...
1. Growth rate varies tremendously...realize this and plan the future of individual trees accordingly
2. Don't plant the tiles too deep...roots will form above the base
2a. Growing on a tile does not guarantee good roots.
2b. Chop big roots early and short
2c. Working on the roots every other year seems to work well...giving 2 seasons of growth.
3. It is very easy to develop to reverse taper in the ground...strong growth has to be monitored and checked frequently.
4. It is much harder to develop quality stock that it might appear...use the numbers method if possible...grow as many as you can and a few will turn out well.

With all that said here is my entry...
As of March 8, 2015
IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1744.JPG

Maybe only 2 7/8" but this was up the trunk more than 1".
IMG_1741.JPG

I think this material is still 5 or more years from becoming a really quality tree but since this contest seems to have the potential to go one for more than one year I will document its progress.

John

Last edited:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Step 1... This tree was grown over a tile for 4 years and has a decent root base...
IMG_1746.JPG

However, there are still a few places that could use some roots. So, my first objective is to graft a few roots into the open spaces.

I am going to use 1 year old seedlings for the grafts. I simply drill a hole, slightly larger than the seedling and then insert the seedling and seal the ends. To insure the proper location of the root, start drilling from where you want the root to exit.
grafts%2520areas.png

I didn't photograph the actual drilling and inserting the seedlings on this tree but I did on a tree I added some root graphs on a couple days ago...
IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

Back to the real tree...I added a total of 8 root graphs...I used 2 seedling through a couple of the holes.
IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1753.JPG

IMG_1759.JPG

After completing the root graphs and doing some light pruning, I committed the ultimate sin and repotted this tree back into its anderson flat in potting soil.

IMG_1761.JPG

More to come as work is done...
John

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for sharing the experience, tips and especially the photos. I've got some seedlings from Matt in the ground and have started my own from seed this year as well. Good to have some pointers so it's all not a waste!

Looking forward to seeing this one over the next year.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing the experience, tips and especially the photos. I've got some seedlings from Matt in the ground and have started my own from seed this year as well. Good to have some pointers so it's all not a waste!

Looking forward to seeing this one over the next year.

Glad it is helpful! I guess that is what this is all about:)...
John

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I'm impressed with your ignorance lol...
I had considered doing the thread graft method on my roots, but opted for the approach graft. Care to comment?
Thanks

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
much to clean looking, needs to be more ugly like mine lol

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well, I think we have an early leader! Great tree John, thanks for the grafting walk through!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I'm impressed with your ignorance lol...
I had considered doing the thread graft method on my roots, but opted for the approach graft. Care to comment?
Thanks

I have never really done any approach grafts with roots and to be honest only a couple thread grafts so no real comments at this point.. I will say that the thread grafts are extremely easy assuming you have a drill bit long enough and small enough diameter:) IF not, approach grafts may be easier???
John

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Well, I think we have an early leader! Great tree John, thanks for the grafting walk through!
Well, thanks, but....I doubt that and I don't really think this tree is going to look all that different a year from now...maybe in 3-5 years...we will see.

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
I have never really done any approach grafts with roots and to be honest only a couple thread grafts so no real comments at this point.. I will say that the thread grafts are extremely easy assuming you have a drill bit long enough and small enough diameter:) IF not, approach grafts may be easier???
John
Thanks. I like thread grafts better too for how they exit. But, alas...didn't have a bit long enough. I'm curious to see how mine turn out.

ward0

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work , When did you cut the tree to develop trunk please?

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Nice work , When did you cut the tree to develop trunk please?
Went into the ground spring of 2010...came out and into an anderson flat spring of 2013....3 seasons in the ground...2 in the container...

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
As others have said, I am excited to see the progression of those root grafts. I've seen a bunch of pictures online of people doing in, but can't seem to find any follow ups. Great tree!

ward0

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Went into the ground spring of 2010...came out and into an anderson flat spring of 2013....3 seasons in the ground...2 in the container...

Thanks for the reply. Did you do any chops in between? Ground and full pot isn't the same in training in speed , so i have heard ..

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Did you do any chops in between? Ground and full pot isn't the same in training in speed , so i have heard ..
sorry....I quoted your post but didn't really answer your question...

only one major chop, done when it came out of the ground in 2013...really just pruned since then...

Top Bottom