Project Bald Cypress

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello all, I'm a new member of the site and fairly new to bonsai. I've had and have a few store bought bonsai. But the project (Bald Cypress) will be my first actually "bonsai project"! As of now I'm undecided if I want to go with a Flat Top style or traditional Bald Cypress styling. I will say that I am leaning toward the Flat Top style. Here's a few pics of my tree.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 99

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WoW that is some seriously thick roots down there. Did you remove any of them before planting?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yoo nice a bald cypress, i want one also. I like the species name. I assume the soil isn't completely filled with woodchips? Also, how are you going to create taper?

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yoo nice a bald cypress, i want one also. I like the species name. I assume the soil isn't completely filled with woodchips? Also, how are you going to create taper?

Thanks, and no right now i'm using Sta-Green Tree and Shrub Garden Mix.

As for as taper, you cant tell from the pics but the tree is has a some taper. i was thinking of giving the tree a cut up top to shorten the tree to emphasize this.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
No, i actually didnt have to cut any of the roots.

That is fine. You will over time. cutting away thick woody roots as finer more fibrous roots develop. Don't do it now. Don't change soil now. Keep it alive for a year.

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That is fine. You will over time. cutting away thick woody roots as finer more fibrous roots develop. Don't do it now. Don't change soil now. Keep it alive for a year.
Ok, I'll take care of the little guy!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, I'll take care of the little guy!

If it wasn't BC I'd put $20 against that!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Sorry, combined with this.
. Keep it alive for a year

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If it wasn't BC I'd put $20 against that!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Sorry, combined with this.
. Keep it alive for a year

Shouldn't be a problem..I am an environmental scientist/urban forester (MSc) bioresource engineer (PhD candidate) as for as knowing how to care for a tree & keeping a tree alive, I can do that.;)It's the "Art of bonsai" that I am new to. not Horticulture.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shouldn't be a problem..I am an environmental scientist/urban forester (MSc) bioresource engineer (PhD candidate) as for as knowing how to care for a tree & keeping a tree alive, I can do that.;)It's the "Art of bonsai" that I am new to. not Horticulture.

Make it $40! Lol.

Sorce

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all, I'm a new member of the site and fairly new to bonsai. I've had and have a few store bought bonsai. But the project (Bald Cypress) will be my first actually "bonsai project"! As of now I'm undecided if I want to go with a Flat Top style or traditional Bald Cypress styling. I will say that I am leaning toward the Flat Top style. Here's a few pics of my tree.
You have some significant challenges with this tree, which with time and effort you can overcome. The first one that jumps out is the coiled, very thick roots. This problem won't get better on its own. Next spring just before budburst I'd suggest chopping them back hard while maintaining the flaring base. Dust the cut ends with rooting powder. They should grow new roots with no problem, and you will have solved the first problem. Your second problem is lack of taper, as others have noted. The general rule of thumb when working with cut-down nursery stock or collected trees is that the diameter at the trunk chop should be no more than one-half the diameter of the basal trunk diameter (this is measured above the root crown, or where the flaring roots join the trunk), at a point anywhere from about 10" to 24" above the soil depending on the basal thickness (most of my collected BC are chopped at around 24" in height, with trunks ranging from 3-6" thick). You can build taper in this tree, but you'll have to cut it back even harder than you already have. Judging by the first photo you posted, I'm guessing about 8" above the root base. Then you let a new leader grow wild until it gets almost as thick as the trunk below it, then chop again and repeat the process. This will take years, but will give a much better result.

Good luck with your project!

Zach

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
urban forester

One of those guys that tells me that I butchered a tree that has been planted under utility lines? Love the looks on their faces after I get maximum clearance.

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You have some significant challenges with this tree, which with time and effort you can overcome. The first one that jumps out is the coiled, very thick roots. This problem won't get better on its own. Next spring just before budburst I'd suggest chopping them back hard while maintaining the flaring base. Dust the cut ends with rooting powder. They should grow new roots with no problem, and you will have solved the first problem. Your second problem is lack of taper, as others have noted. The general rule of thumb when working with cut-down nursery stock or collected trees is that the diameter at the trunk chop should be no more than one-half the diameter of the basal trunk diameter (this is measured above the root crown, or where the flaring roots join the trunk), at a point anywhere from about 10" to 24" above the soil depending on the basal thickness (most of my collected BC are chopped at around 24" in height, with trunks ranging from 3-6" thick). You can build taper in this tree, but you'll have to cut it back even harder than you already have. Judging by the first photo you posted, I'm guessing about 8" above the root base. Then you let a new leader grow wild until it gets almost as thick as the trunk below it, then chop again and repeat the process. This will take years, but will give a much better result.

Good luck with your project!

Zach

Thank you for the informative feedback! I just recently received this tree, I just wanted to get it into the ground for now. I'll definitely get to work on it next spring! As you mentioned, with starting with the root cuts. This is a long term project, something to tinker with for years!

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
If it dies it could be made into an interesting lamp. Or for home defense.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The new enthusiast does best working on as many trees as they can comfortably care for (I recommend at least 50 to start). And it's best to keep the monetary outlay to a minimum in the beginning. Those with some horticultural training have a leg up, since they have a feel for what will keep a plant alive in a small container. Bonsai training and design are an entire sub-category of horticulture, of course, but can be learned in time. As with any other endeavor, practice makes you better.

Zach

Top Bottom