Project Ponderosa Pine

Canonfodder

Sapling
Reaction score
1374BE21-89A7-436F-9C67-D86AD75886C2.jpeg
I collected this young tree today, which I believe is a Ponderosa Pine tree, a short jump up into the Rocky Mountains. It was growing within a vast canopy of older trees where it wasn’t getting a lot of sunlight. This was my first attempt to collect a wild tree for possible bonsai work, so I was very nervous about doing to much damage to the specimen. Plus I also work the overnight shifts so I also collected it just after sun set. Very James Bond of me.

I dug about a foot away from the tree and about a foot down. The soil was soft even though there was still snow cover around it. As gently as I could manage, I pushed underneath where I believed the roots ended, and pushed up the tree. The problem is that most of the soil fell from within the roots, so I placed the sapling in a plastic bag and rushed home.

5A297EB4-A18D-4D8A-80FF-DE095BAB1970.jpeg8BC5E8D9-81A1-4AC3-81A6-23BF63628E5D.jpeg
inspecting the roots, I did not see any signs of damaged or torn roots, but they all flowed off to one side. My guess this is because where I collected it was on a hill. What I did discover is that the trunk had a beautiful curve to it. Which if I can successfully keep the specimen alive, would be a neat focal point to start off with when training it.
02139BF7-5566-48B2-AF62-A88BBB1F89C0.jpeg
Now this is where I will have to work on my patients and observation to see if I am successful in saving it.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like plenty of good roots if potted and well cared for. Strong suspicion is not a Ponderosa. Cannot tell more at distance of photos.

Canonfodder

Sapling
Reaction score
Looks like plenty of good roots if potted and well cared for. Strong suspicion is not a Ponderosa. Cannot tell more at distance of photos.
I believed to be a ponderosa pine. I’m still trying to figure all this out. I at least firmly believe it’s a pine of sorts. Here’s a closer shot of the top of the tree.
77F69030-E1BC-4C8B-9054-D8A4C97211A7.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry but pics too dark to see details well. Really lean towards Douglas fir. Are needles single? How long are they?

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi! I don't think apologies are necessary. We are here to gain knowledge after all. Good find, by the way! I also collect some trees when I am able, and I usually go for Pines. Ponderosa, Pinion, and Bristlecones are usually what I go after. I'm not sure where you're located and how the climate is over there, but from my personal experience, I use about 80% pumice once I pot the collected specimen. I hope you have success with yours!

Canonfodder

Sapling
Reaction score
Day two since replanting the Douglas fir. I left it outside as it is indigenous and is used to the climate.
image.jpg
the needles still feel soft to the touch which I’m taking as a good sign. It has been a little windy today which I believe has caused the tree to loosen at the base.
image.jpg
The soil is dry to the touch to the touch. Should I give it a little water?

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Soil drys out at the surface pretty quickly. Poke your finger in there. If it's dry an inch down you need to water. Dougies grow pretty fast once they get going. You need to also stabilize its position in the pot and protect it from wind, at least until it has a chance to settle in.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As long as substrate not muddy H2O level is good. Too dry is bad. Perhaps would be good to put in area protected from wind as it dries out needles.

Canonfodder

Sapling
Reaction score
As long as substrate not muddy H2O level is good. Too dry is bad. Perhaps would be good to put in area protected from wind as it dries out needles.
Sadly, the only safe place is in my front yard. My GSP pup like to destroy everything he can get his mouth on. I put some nylon cords loosely tied to the base to help keep the tree stable. I stuck my finger into the soil until just after the first bend and it was a little damp. I will water it tomorrow. I’m leaving it outside but it is supposed to snow tonight. Gotta love Colorado’s bipolar weather patterns. Since it was outside to begin with, which I learned is called “yamadori”, I figured it should be ok.

It is sitting next to a bush to help contain the wind but sitting where it will be able to get some sun.

Canonfodder

Sapling
Reaction score
Would it be safe if I tried repotting this tree again? I feel I should have tried planting this in a bonsai pot rather then the pot it’s in.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The pot your little Dougie belongs in depends on how big you want your tree to get. If you want the trunk to be thicker, then you need to let the tree grow in something bigger than a bonsai pot, like in the ground or maybe in an Anderson flat, or a wooden box you make for it.

Top Bottom