Project Tiger Bark Ficus

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So I've been eyeing this particular Tigerbark ficus for a while at the local nursery (always thought that it was a little too pricey) I went by today & low and behold they finally put it on sale! So I'm going to get it tomorrow.

It's in good shape, although a little TLC would do it some good!

My question is, should I repot it in new bonsai soil tomorrow or should I leave alone for now?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Kinda depends...Are you able to keep tropicals outside all year or not? If yes, I would leave it in it's soil until spring. If you have to take it inside one way or the other, if you have a decent indoor setup, you can repot now.

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Kinda depends...Are you able to keep tropicals outside all year or not? If yes, I would leave it in it's soil until spring. If you have to take it inside one way or the other, if you have a decent indoor setup, you can repot now.
i live in Louisiana, our winters aren't bad.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Not bad as in, won't drop below 50? If it stays above 50 you're fine, but if it drops below that I'd just keep it indoors during the winter.

baldcypress6

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Not bad as in, won't drop below 50? If it stays above 50 you're fine, but if it drops below that I'd just keep it indoors during the winter.
It may drop below 50 at night... but not until late winter (late december, jan)..

so i should be ok to repot and place into fresh bonsai soil?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It may drop below 50 at night... but not until late winter (late december, jan)..

so i should be ok to repot and place into fresh bonsai soil?

I wouldn't repot until it starts pushing some new growth. That way you know the roots are moving and you should be OK.

Top Bottom