project_thuja_occi.

peh3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm glad I stumbled across this, I bought a Thuja Occidentalis recently. Hedge material as well.
Was not sure if I could do much with it but seeing this gives me confidence.

Thanks for sharing!

Arnold_K

Shohin
Reaction score
Defra,
time will come, time will tell ...
For now growing, growing and growing is the plan ...
There will be another "deadwood-raid" to improve taper.
But not before the Thuja shows total strength of vigourness ...

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
I picked up a tree labeled “thuja-emerald arborvitae” , the fronds look much larger than yours. Is your tree the dwarf variety?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I picked up a tree labeled “thuja-emerald arborvitae” , the fronds look much larger than yours. Is your tree the dwarf variety?
One picture worth a thousand words.

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Ya, was trying to avoid the what’s my tree question for a bit, but .....
QUOTE="Vance Wood, post: 556238, member: 6"]One picture worth a thousand words.[/QUOTE]
F6C6DE4C-3AAF-4F7F-9A84-D00248247EFD.jpeg2787F215-BA6F-4DFA-B1C4-BC17FB680292.jpeg

Arnold_K

Shohin
Reaction score
@ Stormwater
No, not a dwarf variety.
It only seems to be so, because of the absence of a scale.
The trunc-diameter of my tree is by far wider than yours.
So the fonds appear smaller.
Such is Bonsai ...

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
@ Stormwater
No, not a dwarf variety.
It only seems to be so, because of the absence of a scale.
The trunc-diameter of my tree is by far wider than yours.
So the fonds appear smaller.
Such is Bonsai ...
Very cool! Thanks.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Again, long time no see ...
And this is how it went on with the Thuja-project.
Still redicoulus and raw ... but very joyful for me ...
'like this thuja-stuff so badly ...

View attachment 212536
View attachment 212534
View attachment 212533
View attachment 212535

Nice work! ive been looking for one of these, i really like what you and Mach5 have done with them, there are some great examples of thuja on the net now. i love the foliage, but they work very well with rugged, powerful trunks.

Arnold_K

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you again Bobby for your supportive words!

'Still such a way time to go with my Thuja-projects ...
'Deadwood is just the first layer yet and I figured out,
that heavy bending provokes very fast "wire incorporation",
so using raffia will be mandatory for the next styling-campaign.
'Still lots of things to learn with this wonderful species ..

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thuja are great, for many reasons mentioned. With that, there are many different varieties, with good and not so good characteristics for our bonsai creations.
Being that I see them a lot, more in yard wind breaker landscapes sadly, but will say the west coast wild ones are impressive! We don't see that type if girth too much, wait, what did I just say, hahaha!
with the fronds being a major concern with them, I did some minor homework some might call research, ha, and found the Degroots Spire variety to have the smaller fronds for our bonsai liking. @MACH5 thuja that he has(with a shot out to Suthin) is the reason I started my homework and want Thuja's in my collection.
I have a few landscape ones that got beat up years ago and are now what we like in "yamadori" characteristics, still pondering the fronds, but the wood will be the main feature with these.
not knockinng anyones selection for trees to work on, but I get the feeling from my homework and talking with nurseries that the Emerald variety is almost bred for windbreaker landscape plantings(fast n easy). But again I am not criticizing, just passing on some info I found with Thuja.
I will also add like Mach5 said they are native to East coast too, just think the west coast ones are a bit larger is all. :) but then again, the west coast was not where Europeans first arrived in America, so maybe our large ones got cut earlier and by the time generations of people got to the west, they finally started thinking maybe we should save some of these Ancient trees of size, haha, just a wild thought I have with east coast and west coast characteristics. Im no way a history scholar, just a side thought. ha

Cedar's for everyone!!!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thuja are great, for many reasons mentioned. With that, there are many different varieties, with good and not so good characteristics for our bonsai creations.
Being that I see them a lot, more in yard wind breaker landscapes sadly, but will say the west coast wild ones are impressive! We don't see that type if girth too much, wait, what did I just say, hahaha!
with the fronds being a major concern with them, I did some minor homework some might call research, ha, and found the Degroots Spire variety to have the smaller fronds for our bonsai liking. @MACH5 thuja that he has(with a shot out to Suthin) is the reason I started my homework and want Thuja's in my collection.
I have a few landscape ones that got beat up years ago and are now what we like in "yamadori" characteristics, still pondering the fronds, but the wood will be the main feature with these.
not knockinng anyones selection for trees to work on, but I get the feeling from my homework and talking with nurseries that the Emerald variety is almost bred for windbreaker landscape plantings(fast n easy). But again I am not criticizing, just passing on some info I found with Thuja.
I will also add like Mach5 said they are native to East coast too, just think the west coast ones are a bit larger is all. :) but then again, the west coast was not where Europeans first arrived in America, so maybe our large ones got cut earlier and by the time generations of people got to the west, they finally started thinking maybe we should save some of these Ancient trees of size, haha, just a wild thought I have with east coast and west coast characteristics. Im no way a history scholar, just a side thought. ha

Cedar's for everyone!!!
Some of the oldest Thujas are on the Niagra Escarpment, USA and Canada. I have heard that some have cored out around 2,000 years.

Arnold_K

Shohin
Reaction score
'did not know that thuja is thriving in New Zealnd as well,
but otherwise the climate is very semilar to that one in europe ... I think.
They are not easy to kill, as far as I found out untill now.
And bear in mind, that my thuja is not wired yet.
'Looks like bushy Nothing ... in that stage of development ...
Hopefully I have got the time to change the design into better this weekend ...
ugly she is ... but will likely not stay ...

Top Bottom