Projects

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Didn't know I am a redneck as well. I employed the stone to position trunks as well. Very effective at time. I have a trident that swallowed the rock that I placed between the two trunks to separate them.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I thought I’d post pictures of this little trident’s repot since it’s repotting season and lots of people have concerns about timing based on bud break. In a perfect world, this one would have been fine about a week ago, but I had bigger (literally 😬) fish to fry and this guy needed to wait. Anyway, the deed is done, the root mass was bare rooted and reduced significantly while the tree is actually showing leaves, the leaves were still turgid afterwards, and I’ll post follow ups later this month.

(tridents are very tough/resilient and I'm very confident this tree won't skip a beat, but your mileage may vary with other, less vigorous species, but you'll be surprised what you can do to a healthy tree's roots... and when you can do it.)
IMG_8864.jpegIMG_8865.jpegIMG_8866.jpegIMG_8867.jpegIMG_8868.jpegIMG_8869.jpegIMG_8870.jpeg

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My latest project! The runner up prize from @19Mateo83 for the summer '23' Haiku contest. A very nice, very healthy little Japanese maple. It was love at first sight and I knew I had to do something special with it. This picture is from last September...
1712451495306.png
Right after this photo was taken I applied some heavy aluminum wire to the trunk and managed to add some movement. It spent the winter on a shelf in my cold room and woke up last week.
IMG_8888.jpg

I did some root work and evened out the root spread and potted it up in a pond basket in an organic rich soil mix to help it spread its legs a bit.

IMG_8889.jpg

I honestly have no definitive plans for this guy other than to get some vigorous, healthy growth for a year or three while building the trunk and root base. Let's see what we have then :).

IMG_8891 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8890.jpg
    IMG_8890.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 6

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looking great! That one has such pretty colors for a regular green maple

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow looks like you are outside already? Below freezing here again... I like fun little maples like that!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow looks like you are outside already? Below freezing here again... I like fun little maples like that!
Not really (it's 27 F right now). The conifers have been out on the benches for a bit, but the deciduous trees, if small enough, are under lights. The big ones get moved in/out daily if I have time. It looks forecast lows going forward won't fall below 40 F, so everything is coming out today :) 🙏.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not really (it's 27 F right now). The conifers have been out on the benches for a bit, but the deciduous trees, if small enough, are under lights. The big ones get moved in/out daily if I have time. It looks forecast lows going forward won't fall below 40 F, so everything is coming out today :) 🙏.
That makes sense. I took everyone out today too so fingers crossed for that.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My latest project! The runner up prize from @19Mateo83 for the summer '23' Haiku contest. A very nice, very healthy little Japanese maple. It was love at first sight and I knew I had to do something special with it. This picture is from last September...
View attachment 538587
Right after this photo was taken I applied some heavy aluminum wire to the trunk and managed to add some movement. It spent the winter on a shelf in my cold room and woke up last week.
View attachment 538593

I did some root work and evened out the root spread and potted it up in a pond basket in an organic rich soil mix to help it spread its legs a bit.

View attachment 538597

I honestly have no definitive plans for this guy other than to get some vigorous, healthy growth for a year or three while building the trunk and root base. Let's see what we have then :).

View attachment 538599
Here’s How its sisters are doing. That one’s twin got bit in half by a rodent but is on the up and up.
IMG_1899.jpegIMG_1900.jpeg
You want a fun little maple too? 😎
IMG_1901.jpeg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Time flies when you're having fun! Started from seed back down in GA maybe 8-9 years ago.

This one is pretty much there....
IMG_9007.jpg

This one is almost there...
IMG_9008.jpg

The tree in the first picture came out of the pot currently holding the tree in the second picture... and the pot in the first picture was in Maryland a week ago;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom