Projects

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some jbp and jrp seedlings...
Can you tell the difference based on appearance of buds, needles, etc? I bought some jbp and jrp seedlings several years ago and neglected
to label them when I potted. Now I can't tell which are which. I'm actually wondering if some of them were mislabeled.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Can you tell the difference based on appearance of buds, needles, etc? I bought some jbp and jrp seedlings several years ago and neglected
to label them when I potted. Now I can't tell which are which. I'm actually wondering if some of them were mislabeled.
Jbp needles are thicker/ more robust and bluish green and the buds are white. Jrp needles are thinner/finer and lime green and the seedlings will have reddish buds.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some JBP seedling, probably 6-7 years old, that have somehow managed to stick around, as I've been getting a bit more selective in what get's bench space. I always want low buds on these seedlings, but it doesn't happen every time, but I kept these because they had ok nebari. Two of the 3 are beginning to form plated bark and I though they'd be fun to play around with now. It'll be cool to see how much these will change in just a few years. Stay tuned for updates.
IMG_3346.jpgIMG_3347.jpgIMG_3348.jpgIMG_3349.jpgIMG_3350.jpgIMG_3351.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some JBP seedling, probably 6-7 years old, that have somehow managed to stick around, as I've been getting a bit more selective in what get's bench space. I always want low buds on these seedlings, but it doesn't happen every time, but I kept these because they had ok nebari. Two of the 3 are beginning to form plated bark and I though they'd be fun to play around with now. It'll be cool to see how much these will change in just a few years. Stay tuned for updates.
View attachment 264417View attachment 264418View attachment 264419View attachment 264420View attachment 264421View attachment 264422
The adventitious buds on young trunks are often formed when a side or apical sacrifice is cut off above the area buds are desired. Grow these out in larger containers and let them get more vigourous before cut back. You will be surprised at the results. The best result is with younger trees under 10 years of age. Here is a picture illustrating the result on six year old JBP.

Attachments

• IMG_1450.JPG
    IMG_1450.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 61

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The adventitious buds on young trunks are often formed when a side or apical sacrifice is cut off above the area buds are desired. Grow these out in larger containers and let them get more vigourous before cut back. You will be surprised at the results. The best result is with younger trees under 10 years of age. Here is a picture illustrating the result on six year old JBP.
I wish I could do this but I only have space for pond baskets or the occasional anderson flat. My yard is very steep- yesterday a pond basket grown juniper started rolling roots over canopy after I placed it on the ground- and has limited sun... and my benches occupy those few acceptable spots.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This dwarf palmatum is ready for the big time... akadama! The board has worked well for the last two years. I flipped a coin and left it on for one more. Several larger roots were removed to allow the smaller ones below them to develop as they were better placed.
9DE9568C-6BB4-4B3D-871C-6B30F6924B78.jpegE804566A-1887-44D5-8C6F-5D9B1185C272.jpeg04835179-F19C-4CFE-904D-178FE8367636.jpeg3FFCD820-E181-4999-858A-BDC3F4C11884.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This dwarf palmatum is ready for the big time... akadama! The board has worked well for the last two years. I flipped a coin and left it on for one more. Several larger roots were removed to allow the smaller ones below them to develop as they were better placed.
Good choice, you won’t regret another year on the board. It’s developing well and has a bright future.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When do you think that full size Japanese maple layer will be ready to remove flush with ground

I remembered seeing a post on that a while ago and was curious

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Top Bottom