Promoting good mycorrhiza growth in Spruces?

TeKmInIbI

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
How can i go about this? i heard that another CBS' needles, in a bag with some water (effectively making them rot) then sprinkling on soil is one of the best way to incorporate into my Bonsai... will this work?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How can i go about this? i heard that another CBS' needles, in a bag with some water (effectively making them rot) then sprinkling on soil is one of the best way to incorporate into my Bonsai... will this work?

I doubt this will do much of anything except make a slimy mess.

Myc fungus does not grow on needles. It grows on roots. Myc is not some magic mushroom that will cause development miracles. It can help, but only a bit. Some trees don't even associate with them.

The best way to inoculate your soil with the right species is to find a healthy CBS and take some of the soil from its roots and sprinkle that onto the root zone of your tree.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another method is to incorporate chopped charcoal in your substrate mix and give it an initial dose of osmocote. According to Japanese experimental data, charcoal is a very good substrate supplement if you want mycorhization.

Top Bottom