prop/hort question - how would you go about making a red leaf arakawa?

• Thread starter Deleted member 21616
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21616

a friend of mind grafted deshojo branches onto a barked arakawa maple, and it looks amazing in terms of color

but he grafted the deshojo branches onto to trunk (as opposed to the tips of 'finished' branches) so the branches that emerge from the trunk don't have the arakawa bark

question: if I wanted to "create a new cultivar" of Arakwa whose leaves are naturally red, can this be done by selecting seeds from trees whose leaves are most 'red' over generations? If not, is there a way to do it at all?

Thank you
D

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think one would need to bag flowers on both varieties before they emerge so that the pollen is 'pure'. Then collect pollen from the flowers of one and transfer them to the other and rebag until the flowers are clearly spent. Then collect the samara produced, stratify, plant, and grow to see what you've got. While you likely would be able to judge the leaf color immediately, I would think it will take several years to see if it also has corky bark. Then, when you've found one red leafed pseudo-arakawa tree, you might move on to tissue culture to propagate it or start grafting.

IIRC, Arakawa gets quite red in its fall coloration which means it produces anthocyanin in leaf tissues. I know that fall coloration (reds, in particular) with an auxin overdose during layering. Once induced, the coloration remains for the rest of the season. So, maybe finding a way to cause a similar auxin OD without girdling the trunk would produce a red-leafed Arakawa. I don't know if a root drench with a solution containing 1-aminocyclopropane-1-coboxylic acid is a practical possibility. Maybe administered hypodermically into the trunk xylem.

Lastly, genetic engineering could do it, but totally outside the realm of practical possibilities.

D

Deleted member 21616

Thank you @0soyoung

Interesting methods!

flowers? pollen? maybe my maples are too young to be producing flowers? never seen that!

gonna check with landscape stores to see if any of they big specimens do :)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know that fall coloration (reds, in particular) with an auxin overdose during layering.
What kind of layering? If air layering, it might just be a defense response (antocyanins reduce oxidative stress caused by damage) or a more general approach would be the cut off nitrogen supply (if air layering is involved).

When working with insect-pollinated plants like maple (from wikipedia), you'll need a soft paint brush and an isolated area to make hybrids. Isolate the two plants you want to cross, and go back and forth between both parent plants, bushing the flowers on both. If bees can reach them, you'll never be able to tell which branch is pollinated by which tree. Do as many as possible, not every genetic trait is equally distributed. In school we learn that it should be 50/50 from mom and dad. But in fact it's just a giant mess.
Now we're talking traits, keep in mind recessive and dominant traits; the cork bark might be recessive while the red foliage is dominant. Cool, you now have smooth bark and red foliage. Or the other way around; rough bark and green foliage.
It takes another generation to get both traits out in the open, that's why I love annuals and perennials; projects take less than a five years to figure out and to get results. I don't know how fast maples mature and flower, but I assume it takes more than 5 years. Time enough to figure out which trait is which, just by observing the seedlings.
Not every cross is easy to make, there has to be a certain level of compatibility. This is genetically based and it's usually hard to find on the interweb. Search for Latin name#1 x Latin name#2 to see if anyone did it before you. Otherwise it's necessary to dive in deeper and search specifically for compatibility traits. I'm not sure how compatible maples are to one another. But since there's so many hybrids, I think that it can be done.

Genetic engineering isn't always necessary. Protoplast fusion (in the case of sterility, doesn't always need X-rays) or embry recue cultures (in case of aborted seeds) are pretty solid techniques, they require a couple of hundred bucks and some extensive practicing to master though. The embryo rescue, I'm fairly sure, can be done at home with just 200USD, two hours of practice, and a truckload of patience - meaning you'll have to dissect about 1500 flowers with tweezers and scalpels in a sterile environment, at home. Takes about a week or two to do. One or two plants will make it after a 6 month incubation period. If you do this right, give a plant laboratory a call and they'll hire you. If you see a lily flower somewhere, you can safely bet that there's a 99% chance it originated from an embryo rescue somewhere down the line. The floral business is thriving because of that technique.

If you want to go the easy road, some food dyes can have pretty awesome effects on broadleafed plants. But that's at your own risk, it will stain your soil and your pots and your hands and everything else.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What kind of layering? If air layering, it might just be a defense response (antocyanins reduce oxidative stress caused by damage) or a more general approach would be the cut off nitrogen supply (if air layering is involved).
It doesn't matter what kind, but I mean girdling a stem - the point being exposed cambium that can be dosed. Some mild discoloration of acer palmatums occurs as a consequence of girdling when making layers. Dusting with well more than 0.3% IBA will induce a marked response in leaf color. 4.5% IBA will turn generic green acer palmatum crimson red. Many other species as well - they have normal fall red coloration in common.

Anthocyanins in leaves shades the photosystems from sunlight.

D

Deleted member 21616

I really appreciate the thought that goes into these replies. going to read through this in the morning with my coffee when the brain is happier to register information :)

thank you both!

Top Bottom