Propagate Ficus Cutting in Water?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just curious, I do not normally do cuttings in water but I have had some surprises of plants rooting in water while I was holding them to root in a mix.
I just got a Morton Bay Ficus which I bought for long term development and I could not abide looking at the cluttered mass of branches all winter so I took off a few cuttings averaging a diameter of 1/4 inch and about 5 to 6 inches long.
Now my gut is telling me to trim the leaves, dip in hormone and put in my starting mix under plastic domes. I have rooted dozens and dozens of other types of ficus but have no experience with this ficus or cuttings this large. They are now in a bottle of spring water with a couple of tablespoons Hydrogen Peroxide 3% solution. Now this just happened 20 minutes ago and I would like to know if anyone has rooting these in water before I push on.
Thank you so much.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have rooted F microcarpa and F salicaria in water. Also pyracantha, chinese elms, and probably a few more. The roots formed tend to be pretty delicate and easily broken when transferring to a growth medium, so handle with care.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have rooted F microcarpa and F salicaria in water. Also pyracantha, chinese elms, and probably a few more. The roots formed tend to be pretty delicate and easily broken when transferring to a growth medium, so handle with care.
Thanks. I appreciate your feedback. Pyracantha is a bit of a surprise to me. How big were your cuttings?
Yeah, I am aware those water roots are brittle. I transplant them before they get long enough to be a problem, sometimes when the leaf nodes erupt.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Throw a small air stone attached to an aquarium air pump in there and stand back!

That's what I basically did for my microcarpa cuttings and it worked superbly!
That is an excellent idea. That is used in hydroponics. I have everything I need. Thank you.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is there an advantage of rooting in water? (I am legitimately wondering, not asking a rhetorical question. I've been able to root every ficus cutting that I've tried in potting soil, compost, straight DE, etc. - it doesn't seem to matter if humidity, moisture, and temperature are maintained.)

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Is there an advantage of rooting in water? (I am legitimately wondering, not asking a rhetorical question. I've been able to root every ficus cutting that I've tried in potting soil, compost, straight DE, etc. - it doesn't seem to matter if humidity, moisture, and temperature are maintained.)

Your losses of cuttings to desiccation (drying out) can be mitigated much easier by rooting in water.

The airstone is a good idea. I’ve had good luck using a seed germination warming pad under a container of water when rooting them in water in the winter and early spring. Ficus microcarpa:

• Smaller, green cuttings end up rotting.
  • Woody stems seem to work best. I replaced a couple dead ones with new cuttings, but I need to get more to fill the tile holes.
  • Bottom heat=good.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been able to root every ficus cutting that I've tried in potting soil, compost, straight DE, etc. - it doesn't seem to matter if humidity, moisture, and temperature are maintained.)
Me too! But I have never tried this ficus.
In my original post I put forth the observation I had upon roots developing in the water jar before even going to the soil. So I figured it was faster and quicker to establish whether or not the cutting would take. This came about when I took bougainvillea cuttings a few weeks ago. I did not get all of them stuck so I put a few in a jar of water. The ones in the jar made root nodules in a mater of days and the ones in potting mix lagged a bit behind. That made it pretty easy for me to select the best ones and pot them, or to discard any that did not do so well.
Space is also a consideration. Imagine you are working in something other than the ficus you already excel at. You put say 30 cuttings in cells in a flat that takes up usually 10 x 20 inches. Or you put ten cuttings in a jar x 3. Not only are you taking up 75 percent less space, put you can place the single jar in a space as any space you could set a small pot.
Of course if you oxygenate the water as has been suggested, another arrangement can easily be made. I am very curious about all of this myself and I am going to set up a 5 gallon aquarium this week with air stone. It will be a fun little experiment.

mbunro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i use water for ficus rubiginosa var "little ruby"
they are usually very hard to root cuttings, even if you select a branch that has ground layered its own roots...
but i have 100 percent success rate with a glass of water on the window sill. no fancy air stones or anything i just overflow the glass until im sure the older water has been replaced once a week or so.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Ficus macrophylla - Moreton Bay fig is usually very easy to strike. Even quite large cuttings can root without difficulty. Found one growing in the expansion joints of a concrete bridge. as there was no way to extract roots we just sawed it off at the base and planted the trunk in a pot and it grew new roots. Warm weather is the best time but indoors with heat you may be successful.

i use water for ficus rubiginosa var "little ruby"
they are usually very hard to root cuttings, even if you select a branch that has ground layered its own roots...
I have found 'Little Ruby' to strike well. It grows slower than the original species but striking cuttings is no problem.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I set this small tank up today. It will hold about a dozen cuttings or so. I will drop a small heater in it tomorrow. Its not really a waste of space because I will enjoy watching the dwarf freshwater Cherry Shrimp I will put in it.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I used to breed and sell Cherry Shrimp when they were new to the hobby 15 years ago, LOL. You could definitely put a lot more cuttings in there.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used to breed and sell Cherry Shrimp when they were new to the hobby 15 years ago, LOL. You could definitely put a lot more cuttings in there.
Thanks John, I am actually raising the shrimp in a 55 gallon planted aquarium that has been set up for years so I will be putting a few stones and a ground cover plant in there as well, for my amusement and for the shrimps well being.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@penumbra , this is a cool idea. Any update on this?

I've been thinking of taking 1/4 to 1/2 inch cuttings and planting them in a perlite and sphagnum moss mixture. I'm going to plant them in a plastic cup and cover the soil with some screen so I can change the water without losing the soil.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@penumbra , this is a cool idea. Any update on this?

I've been thinking of taking 1/4 to 1/2 inch cuttings and planting them in a perlite and sphagnum moss mixture. I'm going to plant them in a plastic cup and cover the soil with some screen so I can change the water without losing the soil.
That should work! Just removed some Burtt Davyi cuttings growing in a pickle jar:

D6DBA44B-9063-4B81-94BE-45D04A26EA47.jpeg
100% success this time between this jar and another container for ~25 cuttings.

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you put the cuttings in water do you replace the water after X time or never? Can they be in full sun or shade?

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've never been able to root ficus (tiger bark) cuttings in water. I've tried it two times with about a dozen cuttings, none of them rooted. I'm not sure why.

Either way, they root so easily in soil that I see little reason why you would want to in water. When given enough humidity and kept out of sunlight the succes rate in soil I get is near 100%. Even including thicker cuttings, which is one of the big benefits of the ficus species imo.

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just want to view when the roots are there to make a clump, using substrate I would say my rate goes around 80%

Top Bottom