propagate thick olive branch by cutting

nabil

Yamadori
Reaction score
Sorry I posted in wrong forum section

Dears

Can olive survive big branch cut 2-3 inches out of young tree color "tan" ?
Stripping all leaves, then apply rooting hormone and in good soil. Shadded humid area, To root? And make quick good trunk bonsai

If yes , shall be done in spring?
I read it may root easily

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes it can be done. Even bigger cuttings will root. I suggest screwing a piece of plywood to the bottom of your cutting. Adds stability and improves root distribution.

Good luck!
Brian

nabil

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yes it can be done. Even bigger cuttings will root. I suggest screwing a piece of plywood to the bottom of your cutting. Adds stability and improves root distribution.

Good luck!
Brian
In spring? Summer? Or fall?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Good luck!
Brian

I agree.

I'd do it in spring or mid-summer. Do not do it when the tree is actively growing or when the growth are still young.

A safer way is to airlayer.

nabil

Yamadori
Reaction score
I agree.

I'd do it in spring or mid-summer. Do not do it when the tree is actively growing or when the growth are still young.

A safer way is to airlayer.

But olives actively grow in spring and summer, right?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do it before...i.e. early spring.

Here, it rests mid-summer due to heat (above 95*F). I will do it as it starts to cool down again. It will have a second burst of growth (like spring) until fall. Not sure if same applies in your region.

Watch the leaves/buds, you will see when they start to "wake up" and grow.

nabil

Yamadori
Reaction score
Do it before...i.e. early spring.

Here, it rests mid-summer due to heat (above 95*F). I will do it as it starts to cool down again. It will have a second burst of growth (like spring) until fall. Not sure if same applies in your region.

Watch the leaves/buds, you will see when they start to "wake up" and grow.

So your statement would be

"I'd do it in spring or mid-summer. Do not do it when the tree is (In)actively growing or when the growth are still young. "

Right?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So your statement would be

"I'd do it in spring or mid-summer. Do not do it when the tree is (In)actively growing or when the growth are still young. "

Right?

Wrong...the original statement stands.

"I'd do it in spring or mid-summer. Do not do it when the tree is actively growing or when the growth are still young."

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
BUT they are so tough that you may get away with it even if you do something different. ;)

Remember the tree I posted in your other olive thread?

I save a few cutting from it...a few got stuck in pots. Several were tossed in empty pots, tossed some dirt in (maybe 3") and they survived and growing now! :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom