Propagating azaleas by cuttings

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Finally had the time to put Part 1 together.....

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you my friend. I am looking forward to part 2 and I will be checking my azaleas over the next couple days.
I hope that it can help everyone. This weekend it's not scheduled to rain so I should be able to finish up part two. I have some Kurume azaleas ready. My satsuki are still pushing out growth so those will be a ready in several weeks.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Awesome, just what I needed to know. I was chomping at the bit to try some cuttings, but now know I should wait a bit. Looking forward to part 2!!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good work starting this... I think it might be fruitful to compare experiences if you desire. PM if you wish.
Cheers
DSD sends

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well its the weekend. Where is part two 😁😂🤪

just asking because I raided the gardencentres and got a bunch of azaleas to propagate, and next year get rid of the lawn in our frontyard :)

Bob Hunter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey Pitoon just watched this video i did not realize it matters which branch you propagate to get the color cutting your looking for pretty interesting

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey Pitoon just watched this video i did not realize it matters which branch you propagate to get the color cutting your looking for pretty interesting

Yes, for satsuki it matters if you want to continue with multicolored flowers same for certain flower shapes as well.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Propagating true to type can be complicated and pruning can also be too. I’ve seen an entire big beautiful Kinsai bonsai, amongst others go out of type due to improper pruning.

There is a good BonsaiNut thread on the topic and more.

Jim Trumbly of the ASA wrote a good paper in the Azalean hopefully clarifying the selection of cuttings for properly propagating multipatterned satsuki awhile ago. Jim also has a number of other really good articles in that publication.

I use wire to mark the #1 flowers where I want to take cuttings from, but the idea of using different colored twist ties is way
better. That way one can also mark the dark selfs for pruning.

cheers
DSD sends

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Loving this video, when he said they mostly hand water my eyes just about fell out my head. That nursery is a paradise and a nightmare. Paradise because of so many choices and a nightmare because it would be impossible to visit it without purchasing way more than intended!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Loved the video. What a splendid older gentleman.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Loved the video. What a splendid older gentleman.
Definitely the kind of person I’d enjoy spending a day with walking around that massive sea of plants listening to every tidbit of knowledge and advice he has. I loved the part in the beginning about how the business started, so wholesome that they kept it in the family.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You are right on there! Jim and his brother Tom have literally spent hours on the phone with me, talking over propagation techniques, cultivar selection and general horticulture with me on and off for two years. They are my go to guys for azalea cultivars, and now camellia cultivars, that are robust and healthy.

Good for them, but sadly for us, the pandemic was so good to their nursery... people staying close to home rebuilding gardens and their mail order business boomed with everyone buying their stock like crazy from all over the US that their plants are a bit smaller then the usual full gallon pots. That will likely be corrected by fall. Still their existing stock (I got a 20 azalea order last month from them.) always has one well cultivated azalea to a pot, unlike the anemic two plants per pot in the nurseries here. However as I’ve had to look elsewhere for some cultivars, I’ve found that even their a bit ‘smaller‘ plants are well bigger then what others have sent me. I guess all the US nursery stock has been in high demand for the past year....

I’ll be visiting Nuccios in Alhambra for a long put off tour this winter once everything is bedded down in the new cold frames. Guaranteed I’ll be bringing a few goodies back home!

cheers
DSD sends

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a great place to visit.
TO be honest, I do not think I have come across nurseries large scale propagating sasuki azalea here!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
You are right on there! Jim and his brother Tom have literally spent hours on the phone with me, talking over propagation techniques, cultivar selection and general horticulture with me on and off for two years. They are my go to guys for azalea cultivars, and now camellia cultivars, that are robust and healthy.

Good for them, but sadly for us, the pandemic was so good to their nursery... people staying close to home rebuilding gardens and their mail order business boomed with everyone buying their stock like crazy from all over the US that their plants are a bit smaller then the usual full gallon pots. That will likely be corrected by fall. Still their existing stock (I got a 20 azalea order last month from them.) always has one well cultivated azalea to a pot, unlike the anemic two plants per pot in the nurseries here. However as I’ve had to look elsewhere for some cultivars, I’ve found that even their a bit ‘smaller‘ plants are well bigger then what others have sent me. I guess all the US nursery stock has they only charge, so theynice peopbeen in high demand for the past year....

I’ll be visiting Nuccios in Alhambra for a long put off tour this winter once everything is bedded down in the new cold frames. Guaranteed I’ll be bringing a few goodies back home!

cheers
DSD sends
They are really nice people. They called me to tell me the ones I ordered were kind of small so they would "take a couple of bucks off". So they only charged me $6 each. I have another order in the mail.

Top Bottom