propagating cherry blossom

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
ok so there is this okame cherry that i want to air layer and also take cuttings from. this should be done after blossom right?

when the leave emerge and has harden off?

how long does it take to harden off?

and does this goes for every species of cherry blossom no matter what time they bloom?

just making sure i dont want to miss this opportunity and have to wait till next year

Attachments

• 22C0B26E-6EA1-4E93-9B3E-B8E310B98985.jpeg
    22C0B26E-6EA1-4E93-9B3E-B8E310B98985.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 19

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After the first flush has hardened off would be the optimum time to take semi-hardwood cuttings.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Summer--

pet peeve--it's simply "cherry" tree, not "Cherry blossom tree" Just like an apple tree is not an apple blossom tree...

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Summer--

pet peeve--it's simply "cherry" tree, not "Cherry blossom tree" Just like an apple tree is not an apple blossom tree...
ahhh very helpful thank you! and pardon my tree illiteracy

is it the same time frame for air layer?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ahhh very helpful thank you! and pardon my tree illiteracy

is it the same time frame for air layer?
Air layers are usually begun when the tree has finished leafing out, early to late spring. The process can be more effective then as the tree is actively growing and will respond more effectively with stronger rooting.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
yes. all that wasn’t clear to me is the optimum time as that can be crucial for the success rate
Avoid branches that is older than 3yrs old. The older the branch the higher the chance the air layer can spread over a couple of seasons to get it to root. They can bridge over so check after a few months if you see no roots.

If you can go for current years growth to last year's growth. Use chopped sphagnum moss, it will be easier to remove after the air layer has rooted.

Post pics 😁

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Color change, stiffness, maybe some barking...

Fresh growth tends to be lighter/brighter in color. Hardened growth typically starts to be darker/duller in color...often tending towards reds and browns or maybe darker greens. More "woody" than "leafy".

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Color change, stiffness, maybe some barking...

Fresh growth tends to be lighter/brighter in color. Hardened growth typically starts to be darker/duller in color...often tending towards reds and browns or maybe darker greens. More "woody" than "leafy".
Thank you 😊

Top Bottom