Propagating Chinese Elm

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm wanting to clone my Chinese Elm. What do yiu suggest is the best way to get the best results ? I will attach the latest picture of my little girl as well.20170628_182935.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It depends on the results you are trying to achieve.

If you just want just get a lot of baby elm trees, the easiest way is via cuttings.

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It depends on the results you are trying to achieve.

If you just want just get a lot of baby elm trees, the easiest way is via cuttings.
Yes just baby elm tress, I do plan on using cuttings but what is the process and best way to do so with out ruining the cuttings.? Thanks in advance!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You can pretty much toss these branches on a pile of dirt, forget about them, come back a month later and find them growing!

They are almost that easy!

Most successful way for ,out any cutting is perlite. Just perlite, lots of water. Hormone is optional in my experience...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you want an easy way here it is:

Get a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket. Cut it in half horizontally so you have a "squat" bucket about 12" deep. Poke a few small holes in the bottom - not so large that your media falls out. Fill it to 4" depth with perlite. Water the perlite so it is soaked - and let the excess water flow out the bottom of the bucket. Get a bunch of cuttings and "plant" them in the perlite just by sticking them into the media. The more cuttings the better - they actually do better if they are packed together closely. When your bucket is full, cover the top of the bucket with a piece of clear plastic wrap (Saran wrap).

Every couple of days, lift up a corner of the plastic wrap and water the cuttings. You want the perlite to be damp, but not wet. The cuttings will not consume any water until they develop roots, so you just want to see condensation on the plastic wrap to let you know you have high humidity. Keep the bucket in bright light, but not direct sunlight.

Wait until you see the cuttings showing new growth (an indicator of root growth) before you remove them from the perlite and transplant them into bonsai soil.

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Get a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket. Cut it in half horizontally so you have a "squat" bucket about 12" deep. Poke a few small holes in the bottom - not so large that your media falls out. Fill it to 4" depth with perlite. Water the perlite so it is soaked - and let the excess water flow out the bottom of the bucket. Get a bunch of cuttings and "plant" them in the perlite just by sticking them into the media. The more cuttings the better - they actually do better if they are packed together closely. When your bucket is full, cover the top of the bucket with a piece of clear plastic wrap (Saran wrap).

Every couple of days, lift up a corner of the plastic wrap and water the cuttings. You want the perlite to be damp, but not wet. The cuttings will not consume any water until they develop roots, so you just want to see condensation on the plastic wrap to let you know you have high humidity. Keep the bucket in bright light, but not direct sunlight.

Wait until you see the cuttings showing new growth (an indicator of root growth) before you remove them from the perlite and transplant them into bonsai soil.
Is there a specific length the cuttings need to be? I've read 6". And also once I take the cuttings do I have to "clean" them up before I put them in the media? And also with the perlite. Are you talking about straight perlite ? Or a soul with perlite in it?

Last edited:

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Also, how would you poke the holes in the bucket ?

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also, how would you poke the holes in the bucket ?

I'll let the experts speak to the specifics about propagation techniques, but I can speak to this one. With lighter/thinner plastic, I always use a hot nail to puncture plastic. Literally heat a nail with a lighter and then push it into the plastic. With thicker plastic like a 5 gallon pail, I would use a small drill bit and a cordless drill. Hope this helps!

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll let the experts speak to the specifics about propagation techniques, but I can speak to this one. With lighter/thinner plastic, I always use a hot nail to puncture plastic. Literally heat a nail with a lighter and then push it into the plastic. With thicker plastic like a 5 gallon pail, I would use a small drill bit and a cordless drill. Hope this helps!
Thank you very much!

Top Bottom