Propagating from lignotuber

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have a lemon eucalyptus (Corymbia citriodora) in ground here in Florida that will need to go in about a year. It’s about 30 feet tall (~9m) with a 12 inch base (~30.5cm).

Truth be told it was a gift to my mother for mother’s day. She has grown quite attached to the tree over the years and would like to bring it with her on a move coming up next year.

My idea was to cut the tree down to the soil and dig up the root mass in hopes of discovering a decent sized lignotuber beneath the soil. I would then clean up the mass and shape it into something that could fit into a relatively shallow pot, taking care to maintain existent fine peripheral roots. I would then plant it and allow the dormant buds to emerge and be on my way to a eucalyptus forest planting/clump.

The only lignotubers I’ve worked with are from the coastal redwood (S. sempervirens.) Also known as burls, these starchy masses were super resilient and showed the capacity to be cut to a very shallow hemisphere for a low-profile planting. It was tricky to incite root growth on these after they had budded out but it was possible. My thought with the eucalypt is that the lignotuber might have ancillary fine roots growing around it that I could try and maintain.

What do you all think? Contingency plan is to take cuttings incase this goes south.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well that is a big tree already, is there any sign of a lignotuber at the base because I tend to agree that if there is one whatever chance you have of transplanting it will be better than without one.
I think if I was going to try it I would do so in late spring to late summer, certainly when night temps are high at the least. Try to keep some soil around the roots but that is easier said than done with bigger trees and depending on what soil you pot it up in then it may need to sit in a tray of water for the first month or so.
To be fair I'm not sure many people would have tried such a thing even in landscape gardening so hopefully you can be a pioneer of technique. :)

But yeah maybe it is better to put more faith in propagation as a fall back. Seed will be the most reliable so if the tree produces gum nuts then hopefully the seed inside will be viable and it is super easy to germinate.
Cuttings are more hit and miss with gum trees but worth a shot if you take some new growth, I do have one Corymbia cutting out of 4 left that looks like it may take although it might not make it past winter. I'd take plenty of cuttings and expect you may lose some.

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well that is a big tree already, is there any sign of a lignotuber at the base because I tend to agree that if there is one whatever chance you have of transplanting it will be better than without one.
I think if I was going to try it I would do so in late spring to late summer, certainly when night temps are high at the least. Try to keep some soil around the roots but that is easier said than done with bigger trees and depending on what soil you pot it up in then it may need to sit in a tray of water for the first month or so.
To be fair I'm not sure many people would have tried such a thing even in landscape gardening so hopefully you can be a pioneer of technique. :)

But yeah maybe it is better to put more faith in propagation as a fall back. Seed will be the most reliable so if the tree produces gum nuts then hopefully the seed inside will be viable and it is super easy to germinate.
Cuttings are more hit and miss with gum trees but worth a shot if you take some new growth, I do have one Corymbia cutting out of 4 left that looks like it may take although it might not make it past winter. I'd take plenty of cuttings and expect you may lose some.

I don’t see an obvious taper at soil level but then again I haven’t had a chance to excavate further. When I do dig it up I am going to massacre the existing, I’m sure extensive, root system so the only chance of survival for the tree will be the hopeful existence of a tuber.

I would wager that there is at least one decent sized one under there, maybe some smaller ones as well. That is, if it has grown in accordance with the species typical habit in its natural Aussie range. Well, I’m hoping at least.

I too have tried to strike cuttings on new growth. I failed in my efforts though I didn’t give too much attention. I have seen the tree flower though despite being monecious, I have yet to observe fruit.

Hopefully I find a tuber the size of a pumpkin so I can cut the top 1/4 off and put it in a water dish with a humidity dome like one would do with a redwood burl. Excited to try this and will definitely document.

It’d be cool to show this planting at a show one day in the distant future and crush a bunch of the leaves so as to charm the viewers with the awesome lemony scent.

Do you have a lemon gum as well?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nothing to lose by giving it a go I say and if you do please update the thread or another with pics too because I'd like to see it at least. :D

I'd also take as many cuttings as you can too just to be on the safe side, may not take but sometimes thems the breaks, it does sound like you are on the right track and if it is a choice between trying to bring it with or losing it because of moving then you gotta give it a try.
Maybe you will find of these under there .....

1546974841116.png
lol

The scent of the crushed leaves is amazing and strong it'd give off a lovely aroma in a display, actually that may be a good indoors pot purri type of thing too. Excellent idea.

I have one but for less than 6 months although I have other types of Eucs as well. Plus a couple of Corymbia seedlings I think but lack of labelling means I have to wait for confirmation.

My bigger one was pure nursery stock, 2 metres tall and trained to be a dead straight beanpole trunk so I did a trunk chop leaving the lowest branch in Autumn. It back budded well and down quite low, in retrospect I think I could of chopped lower. It has a softball size lignotuber at the base which looks a little ridiculous at this point.
I should of repotted it out of nursery soil too I think but I didn't and now it's too late so hopefully it will make it to warmer weather.

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nothing to lose by giving it a go I say and if you do please update the thread or another with pics too because I'd like to see it at least. :D

I'd also take as many cuttings as you can too just to be on the safe side, may not take but sometimes thems the breaks, it does sound like you are on the right track and if it is a choice between trying to bring it with or losing it because of moving then you gotta give it a try.
Maybe you will find of these under there .....

View attachment 222751
lol

The scent of the crushed leaves is amazing and strong it'd give off a lovely aroma in a display, actually that may be a good indoors pot purri type of thing too. Excellent idea.

I have one but for less than 6 months although I have other types of Eucs as well. Plus a couple of Corymbia seedlings I think but lack of labelling means I have to wait for confirmation.

My bigger one was pure nursery stock, 2 metres tall and trained to be a dead straight beanpole trunk so I did a trunk chop leaving the lowest branch in Autumn. It back budded well and down quite low, in retrospect I think I could of chopped lower. It has a softball size lignotuber at the base which looks a little ridiculous at this point.
I should of repotted it out of nursery soil too I think but I didn't and now it's too late so hopefully it will make it to warmer weather.

Haha I saw that image in my searches as well. If I pull up a tank like that I’m going to have a laugh. Will be sure to share images and progressions when I begin. Can’t wait til June now. Good luck with your own eucalypts in the meantime.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
As a seedling Corymbia citriodora develops a small lignotuber but I don't think it persists when the tree is older. We have some success transplanting some species but I have not heard reports of transplanting lemon scented. Late spring- summer is usually the best season for repotting or transplanting Aussie native plants. Your tree is pretty big. It would need to be pretty special to justify the efforts to transplant. Many Eucs/Corymbia will sprout new shoots from the trunk so can be pruned aggressively if you need to reduce height but that probably won't help with the move.
Eucalyptus and Corymbia are extremely difficult to strike as cuttings. I have heard of some success with immature suckers from the base of some species but they are normally propagated from seed. Seed capsules are reasonable sized so will be hard to miss but there may be no suitable pollinators in your area when they flower so no seed set.
If you need seed I should be able to get some off the trees here and post it over.

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
As a seedling Corymbia citriodora develops a small lignotuber but I don't think it persists when the tree is older. We have some success transplanting some species but I have not heard reports of transplanting lemon scented. Late spring- summer is usually the best season for repotting or transplanting Aussie native plants. Your tree is pretty big. It would need to be pretty special to justify the efforts to transplant. Many Eucs/Corymbia will sprout new shoots from the trunk so can be pruned aggressively if you need to reduce height but that probably won't help with the move.
Eucalyptus and Corymbia are extremely difficult to strike as cuttings. I have heard of some success with immature suckers from the base of some species but they are normally propagated from seed. Seed capsules are reasonable sized so will be hard to miss but there may be no suitable pollinators in your area when they flower so no seed set.
If you need seed I should be able to get some off the trees here and post it over.

I’ll be sure to keep this in mind. I think either way I’m going to give it a shot. Let me know if you have any interest in any Florida natives! We could potentially do a trade.

Top Bottom