Propagating Montezuma Cypress

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Well... I took some green cuttings from a few of my strongest growers in late June... 9 cuttings to be exact. Each one about 8 to 10 inches in length leaving only foliage on the upper portion of the cuttings.
Dipped um' in rooting hormone and placed them in a plastic bin with pumice and built a lattice using training wire and a clear plastic bag. Was super ugly!
I checked the progression in mid August and saw no roots... Checked again today and to my surprise 4 of the 9 had roots!
I repotted them in plastic pots using 40%potting soil and 60% 1/8 to 3/16 pumice.
It's still super hot here so I put the pots back under the plastic tent cutting holes in the top in hopes to acclimate the trees.
At this point the care instructions on how to proceed are a bit spotty.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!
IMG_9215.jpegIMG_9223.jpeg

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I guess what I am wondering is... once they are out of the tent can they live outside... dappled sun light? All the reading I have done has stated they should live indoors...doesn't seem right but this is my first go around.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess what I am wondering is... once they are out of the tent can they live outside... dappled sun light? All the reading I have done has stated they should live indoors...doesn't seem right but this is my first go around.
I hope that plastic shelter is out of the sun. I'd be worried about the trees cooking inside there if temps are over 90. Montezuma cypress are quite capable of surviving outside in Arizona. They're used as landscape material in So. Cal. It's hardy to zone 7 if provided winter protection--which it will likely need in Tucson when the occasional freeze or frost is around.

I'd get them out into a location out of the wind and afternoon sun.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I hope that plastic shelter is out of the sun.
Yes sir… Completely out of the sun. I’ve had them under an overhang on the porch with a nice little wind break. This is where they have sat since day one. I had them out yesterday once they were potted… They sat in the shade but was still 100°. I noticed within a couple of hours they were starting to wilt and some of the tips got crispy. Putting them back into the tent they have perked up…hopefully it’s just an acclamation thing?
The roots definitely seemed substantial enough.
205DD282-936F-43F1-BCE4-7E2347C77886.jpeg

Top Bottom