Propagating Weeping Cherry Blossom Tree

iliketrees

Seedling
Reaction score
I have read a lot of conflicting information about the best way to propagate a weeping cherry blossom tree. I also understand that these trees are often grafted but am unsure how this comes into play when trying to propagate the tree. Does anyone have any recommendations? Air-layer? Cutting? Best time to attempt to propagate the tree? It seems like there are several branches that could be developed into good-looking bonsai. Attached below are pictures for reference.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 2.05.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 2.05.20 PM.png
    792.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 2.05.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 2.05.37 PM.png
    890.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 2.05.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 2.05.56 PM.png
    847.9 KB · Views: 74

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Likely you could do either.

Bigger = airlayer anywhere above the graft on a upward oriented branch.

Starting from almost scratch = cutting

Since each method will no longer have the grafted rootstock to drive the tree, it may not grow as fast and watch it closely for first signs of health change, after all it is a cherry!

cheers
DSD sends

sbaddy

Seedling
Reaction score
I am new to bonsai. How would I go about growing a cutting of a cherry blossom. I live in the UK

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome aboard to BNut!
Making cuttings of cherry trees are pretty straightforward for folks in USDA Zone 5-8, which you should be in one of these. Here’s a couple links to help you both softwood and hardwood techniques.
btw don’t tug on the cuttings to see if they are rooted, you will know the cutting has rooted when it starts to reliably push new leaves.
GKH
NGA
Hardwood
Also, please double click and enter your approximate location and USDA zone (I know you are in UK). This helps members answer your questions much better.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom