Propagation of Atlantic Cedar from cuttings?

stromy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've been offered to take some cuttings from Atlantic Cedar whenever I want to. It's tempting to have some young cedar trees but first I want to ask you all if anyone has been successful with the above and if so, what time of year would work for that best. Thanks much in advance.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have no experience with cedrus cuttings. But seed grown cedrus reach about 6 inches after year one, and about a foot in year two.
This makes me think that this is one of those rare cases where seedlings can outperform cuttings.
Something worth considering.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I seem to remember getting a cedrus deodar to strike once many years ago but I've tried repeatedly recently with no success and all the info I can find says cedrus do not strike as cuttings so probably faulty memory.
There is always a chance but with cedar that chance is very, very slim. See if you can get some seeds instead of cuttings.

stromy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you all for your inputs. Obviously, it's not what I was hoping to learn but it is how it is.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you can't take cuttings of an Atlas Ceder can you maybe airlayer them?
I have wondered that myself, not only of Atlas but the other true cedars as well. I imagine that if it is possible, it would take some time.
I will tray it on my weeping Lebanon Cedar early next year.
Interested to know if anyone has had any success so I thank you for posting this.

stromy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't know about any successful airlayering of any true cedars but also look of the particular tree would be compromised by it (cuttings could be taken with no significant damage). Regardless that however, if anyone gets positive results of true cedar airlayering, I'm sure many people would appreciate hearing about it. So, please, share with all of us if it goes well.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It isn’t clear form the original post what species he is referring to. Atlantic White Cedar is a Chamaecyparis (C. thyoides) related to hinoki cypress. If it behaves like its Japanese cousin it should strike roots or air layer but I have never seen reports of this as seedlings are fairly common amd inexpensive. Atlas blue cedar Cedrus atlantica is a very different bugger. Do you know which one you are asking about?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good call. I have been assuming all along that true cedars were in question.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have struck brevifolia and deodara. Not easy. (although some deodara clones (like Feelin Blue) are said to be commercially propagated from cuttings) I find it best to heal them in by planting deeply in autumn (at least half their length) in a sand pit in full sun and kept evenly moist after soaking overnight in a weak hormone solution. Leave them all winter and hopefully some will put out roots in spring. This is for frost free areas. If you have heavy frost you will need a bit of bottom heat. Young material is best. Old trees are very difficult.
Having said all that, I don't think it's really worth it in the end. Grafting on deodara seedlings is very easy though.

Last edited:

stromy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sounds like there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks much, MichaelS. I don't expect it would be easy but it could be an interesting experiment. Haven't you tried the atlantica at all?

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sounds like there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks much, MichaelS. I don't expect it would be easy but it could be an interesting experiment. Haven't you tried the atlantica at all?
No not altlantica but if breviolia can strike you should be able to do it with atlantica. I think now apart from deodara, they are all considered varieties or subspecies of libani

stromy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No not altlantica but if breviolia can strike you should be able to do it with atlantica. I think now apart from deodara, they are all considered varieties or subspecies of libani
👍

Top Bottom