Proper Soil and Repotting

Reaction score
I'm new to owning a Bonsai Tree and would like to know I can keep one alive before investing in more. I re-potted my bonsai in regular potting soil and then learned that it is not ideal. Since I just re-potted it, should I wait before putting it in the proper soil? Or should I go ahead and re-pot it now? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

It helps to know where you are located, and what kind of tree you are repotting.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is possible to grow bonsai in almost any soil mix. You just need to match your watering and other care to suit the mix.
It seems to be far easier and less problems when growing bonsai in an open, free draining modern bonsai mix and most successful growers use a variation on this type of mix. There are also some very good commercial 'regular' potting mixes that work just fine for bonsai. I have also seen some commercial mixes labelled 'bonsai mix' that I would not use.... IMHO the potting mix is likely to be one of the least of your problems as a new bonsai grower.

Without knowing what your 'regular potting soil' looks like it is impossible to say whether it is likely to be good or not.
Trees that have been potted very recently can usually be repotted again with little or no problem because it takes a while for the new roots to start to grow. If the tree is active and new roots are already growing they tend to be very brittle and break really easy so further repotting is probably not a good idea. Some trees can cope easily with more damage to roots but other species that do not regenerate easily are not so forgiving.
As the Bnut has already said: knowing the type of tree and where in the world you are can help us give better advice.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm new to owning a Bonsai Tree and would like to know I can keep one alive before investing in more. I re-potted my bonsai in regular potting soil and then learned that it is not ideal. Since I just re-potted it, should I wait before putting it in the proper soil? Or should I go ahead and re-pot it now? Any help is greatly appreciated!
I don't think he will like it, but he also doesn't like to stand in muddy wet potting soil, you could let it stay in the potting soil but be care-full not to overwater it. Welcome to the forum!.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
When it comes to soil, i had learned and experimented that free draining soil is far better than normal potting soil. You will find plenty of details on soil in this site so i not gonna elaborate it. You can repot in growing seasons.

Top Bottom