Prophylactic Fungicide?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
My Juni's and Pine's are doing great. But, the heat/humidity/rains have come here and I'm wondering if I should do a prophylactic spray of copper here mid season?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure about juni's (I have lots of trouble with them) but I do regularly spray my pines. I've had tip blight on them in previous years, and many of the pines in the local area are suffering from that and other maladies. I think if you've had fungal issues in the past (tip blight especially), a regular fungicide program is a good idea. That's what I've seen recommended in various agricultural bulletins as well.

Chris

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can't speak to the specie, but I spray my D trees before fungal problems start, cause once they get going, it can spread voraciously, and then you have to work harder to check it. If you don't give the spores a chance to get a foothold, then that's half the battle. I've had much better luck with healthy leaves once I started doing it.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Chris and Judy. Last yr I had blight, scale and needlecast. Nothing this yr and I'd like to keep it that way. I appreciate the advice!

Chris

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
In many cases and with many professional growers, fungicides are sprayed as a preventative. Personally, I would spray. One view that seems to be changing, at least in my opinion, is about pesticides. The common thought was to spray pesticides only when you see a problem. However, with so many pests and problems increasing, that logic does not seem to be holding up. I spray not only when there is a problem, but as a preventative. I have been spraying once a month and it seems to be working very well. I should mention that I use very mild pesticide. I use the All Seasons Horticultural oil.

Rob

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Can't speak to the specie, but I spray my D trees before fungal problems start, cause once they get going, it can spread voraciously, and then you have to work harder to check it. If you don't give the spores a chance to get a foothold, then that's half the battle. I've had much better luck with healthy leaves once I started doing it.

What do you use Judy?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for joining in Rob...I was hoping to hear from you too :) I was thinking copper...oil isn't a fungal preventative is it? I thought it was only good for crawlers?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for joining in Rob...I was hoping to hear from you too :) I was thinking copper...oil isn't a fungal preventative is it? I thought it was only good for crawlers?

We are talking about 2 different things. I spray Bonide All Seaons Horticultural oil concentrate as a pesticide for mites and scale. For a fungicide, I use Bonide Copper fungicide concentrate. I have had excellent results with both of these Bonide products. Also, they are not highly toxic like many products. Of course, success depends of many factors such as frequency of spraying, climate conditions and care.

Rob

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use daconil, and am probably going to start rotating with a copper type soon.
I have always worried about copper and if it's safe to use on all trees, seems like I remember that there are certain trees that have a bad reaction to copper based sprays, but I could be crazy...
?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also use daconil as my primary fungicide, with an occasional does of copper to keep the fungi on their toes. So far, so good this year. Last year was better than the previous year, when I had severe damage mainly from tip blight.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have always worried about copper and if it's safe to use on all trees, seems like I remember that there are certain trees that have a bad reaction to copper based sprays, but I could be crazy...
?

I used to use Daconil. However, it was the premade spray bottle type. I did not like the thick residue it left on the tree for like a month or more. I am not sure the tree liked it either. However, I hear the Daconil concentrate you mix yourself is not the same. I switched to only using the copper stuff. As far as plant sensitivty, I think it is more that you don't want the roots absorbing the copper based liquid. I know that copper seems to be the "go to" spray for pines.

Rob

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I had the same experience with the pre-mixed version. The concentrate works much better.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah same here, concentrate doesn't leave any residoodle-doo at least not as heavy. I sometimes get a light haze if I spray heavy, but it doesn't last a month...

I have only a few pines, and rarely have any trouble with them, and hardly ever spray them. Thanks for the tip about the soil and copper, if I go that route, just so I can have a rotation spray, I'll think about covering the soil.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
We are talking about 2 different things. I spray Bonide All Seaons Horticultural oil concentrate as a pesticide for mites and scale. For a fungicide, I use Bonide Copper fungicide concentrate. I have had excellent results with both of these Bonide products. Also, they are not highly toxic like many products. Of course, success depends of many factors such as frequency of spraying, climate conditions and care.

Rob

Ah, now that makes sense. I too use Bonide's products, I like them.

And another same here on the premixed version of Daconil being too thick.

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi ! Last year when on holiday and on automatic waterer, I returned to find 3/4 of my Bonsai covered in fungus , rust spots and black spot. I was heartbroken. I have over 100 trees on a handmade stand . I learnt a hard lesson.......KEEP THE TREES APART to allow fresh air to flow through and SPRAY MY BONSAI WITH POWERFUL COPPER BASED ANTI_FUNGICIDE.
I thought that by pushing them together, the trees would not miss my sprayers... WRONG. I got more sprayers. . And I did not want to spoil my lovely trees by spraying them for no reason.
Again WRONG they most have PROTECTION. Until then I did not always remove all infected leaves . WRONG again. Give your tree a chance to recover and set new buds.
This year all is different....light spraying with Fungicide each month.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...seems like I remember that there are certain trees that have a bad reaction to copper based sprays, but I could be crazy...?
Judy, no you're not crazy.
I am also aware of this the hard way.
Some pruni if sprayed with copper fungicides when the leaves are very soft, just after unfolding, they get contaminated and might die.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
?
Elms especially with new growth sometimes react to copper. The sprayed leaves sometime shrivel and die. There's always been new growth to replace them though. I think its a timing thing- buds that haven't opened are no problem nor are leaves that have hardened off. I spray junipers, pines, maples and fruiting trees prophylactically with Copper or Daconil and junipers for spider mites with a bunch of different things.

Top Bottom