Proposal: CE Mallsai / Cheap as chips Contest

Interested in such a contest?

• Total voters

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If anything I'm trying to bolster OP's argument that this could be a cool competition! Ryan referred to them as "$20 Costco mallsai" so having incorporated 3 of them puts the material price at about what @ConorDash threw out as a potential cap.
yeh go for it. i doubt he'll mind. not for me though.

Agriff

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Now that is pretty cool! i guess since ficus is evergreen he can hide bits of trunk and noone will really know,
Yeah! And he chalked everything out to see where they make contact, then carved away the cambium on each side and applied rooting hormone. The idea isn't just that they'll appear to be one base but that they'll literally fuse over time. He's going to be documenting how the project does and I'm super excited to see what happens.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know not many speak Spanish but the pictures speak for themselves. I think David Cortizas have one of the nicest Ficus bonsais outside from a tropical environment (Thailand, India, Philippines, etc...)

11 Tiger bark ficus (mallsai) fused over a myrtle dead trunk - https://www.escueladebonsaionline.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Unión_Fuerza_parte1_Ebook.pdf
2 BIG ficus into a HUGE ficus - https://escueladebonsaionline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/HUGE-PATATA-ebook.pdf
2 Tiger bark ficus fused together - https://escueladebonsaionline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/TIGER-BARK-COMERCIAL-ebook.pdf

He have a few other books that are still free to read. He did removed a few, I guess since he sold some of the trees the owners may not want the books out there?

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thunderstorm nocked my offline, earlier...
@Agriff that looked like a power screwdriver in the last picture -- are the trunks bolted/screwed together?

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, here's a question: for those of us in too-hot climate zones, will you allow ficus? (I'd gladly go for a chinese elm, but if the summer heat didn't get it, the winter warmth probably would...)
...meanwhile, I dragged out a book & realized that Chinese Elm temp requirements match those of Serissa (which seem happy enough so far), so...

In for a penny, in for a pound!

(And back to my newbie fantasies of awesome penjing landscapes 🤣)

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
this is completely in my wheel house. I have been wanting someone to propose this idea actually haha. So I'd definitely be in. I don't think the time line needs to be as drastic as 10 years. These elms never stop growing

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@ConorDash, I hope you haven't gone off this idea... (Mea culpa? 😔)

Amazon has "small" and "medium" outdoor CE in grower pots, for about $21 and $26, from same supplier as the US big box stores use. Best price AND no blue pot hanging around later. (Luck of the draw, but that's the boat I'm in locally, anyway.)

Anybody else game???

El Duderino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Anybody else game???

I am definitely game. I bought the exact tree you’re talking about this past week from Brussels via Amazon (so free shipping and got it in two days) as soon as I saw this thread. It’s really not bad. Definitely a mass produced Mallsai pot but green instead of blue. Not the “S” shape I expected either. Pretty cool little broom. I’m going try what I learned from @markyscott in the Ebihara thread to build the trunk base. Looking forward to developing this little guy further. Should be fun.

5236A976-62DC-471F-B2EF-13EDC698F230.jpeg40031A49-688A-4D57-9B56-79C8AA64F8F0.jpeg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’m in. I’m sure I’ll see something at one of the box stores/home improvement places I frequent often.
I’m also sure I’ll kill it before the competition really gets going!🤣

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah sure, sod it. For those who are not too good for it, such as Bobby ;), Ficus mallsai too.

The spirit of it is a cheap, beginner tree, to turn in to something good.

The time line of 10 years is kind of meaningless. If you are working on this tree for 6-7 years, I am quite sure that after 9-10, you'll be quite attached to it + like it and it will turn in to something good and worth your time.
So yeh, sure, mallsai ficus and CE. Rules don't have to be strict, its about learning and developing and doing bonsai.

Its a contest, no competition, in fact. No need for competitive spirit. Thats not what Bonsai is about, in my mind.

So Yeah, I dont know how these things work.. do we need a specific start date?!

pak1351

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought the same Brussels $25 dollar tree on Amazon as @El Duderino. Looks a little different but also not quite s curves. I’m not a big fan of the exposed root style, do Chinese elms ground layer well?7DB65A28-4B15-4D5C-A0D6-A4602FF5222E.jpeg

El Duderino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I bought the same Brussels $25 dollar tree on Amazon as @El Duderino. Looks a little different but also not quite s curves. I’m not a big fan of the exposed root style, do Chinese elms ground layer well?View attachment 387613
Wow! That is quite different indeed. Looks more like something you'd see on a Ficus. Good luck with it. I'm no expert, but I'd have to believe you could easily air layer this tree. The top movement is quite nice.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm hoping for a standard S-curve, to see if I can coax it into being a raft eventually. It will be fun to see how many starting forms we can turn into how many interesting results --

Top Bottom