Proposal: CE Mallsai / Cheap as chips Contest

Interested in such a contest?

• Total voters

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm hoping for a standard S-curve, to see if I can coax it into being a raft eventually. It will be fun to see how many starting forms we can turn into how many interesting results --
Newer posts since mine, in this thread:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/from-an-s-curve-to-a….51012/

YESSSSS!!!! 😁

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I haven’t got a scooby as to who is in and out but I’ll go back and list the people in a new post when I’m not on mobile..

Start date… 01/09/2021.

End date… 01/09/2026

Cut it down to 6 years. If you start within a year of the start date, in 6 years time it should just be a case of ramification, at that point we are just counting leaves, so no use waiting.

Main criteria is a fairly standard looking mallsai (up to interpretation a bit), which is below £50 or $60. You can buy up to 4 trees.

If you are taking part, please post:
A pic of your tree
Date of purchase (roughly if you don’t know specific)
Your location and zone.

We can all see how it started. This is also useful because if you do happen to start with a tree costing 40£ but it’s clearly some amazing material that should a lot more, it can be taken in to consideration upon judging at the end.

Any further questions about it? I’ll look to buy a few for myself within the next month or 2.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I haven’t got a scooby as to who is in and out but I’ll go back and list the people in a new post when I’m not on mobile..

Start date… 01/09/2021.

End date… 01/09/2026

Cut it down to 6 years. If you start within a year of the start date, in 6 years time it should just be a case of ramification, at that point we are just counting leaves, so no use waiting.

Main criteria is a fairly standard looking mallsai (up to interpretation a bit), which is below £50 or $60. You can buy up to 4 trees.

A pic of your tree
Your location and zone.

We can all see how it started. This is also useful because if you do happen to start with a tree costing 40£ but it’s clearly some amazing material that should a lot more, it can be taken in to consideration upon judging at the end.

Any further questions about it? I’ll look to buy a few for myself within the next month or 2.
Is this European date notation? dd/MM/yyyy?

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score

Start date… 01/09/2021.

End date… 01/09/2026

A pic of your tree
Your location and zone.

Like this idea! However, I already have two cheapo Chinese Elms that I bought last year... I'm guessing they need to have been purchased this year?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I bought the same Brussels $25 dollar tree on Amazon as @El Duderino. Looks a little different but also not quite s curves. I’m not a big fan of the exposed root style, do Chinese elms ground layer well?View attachment 387613
The good news is that you will get at least 3 root cuttings out of that 😂.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
FYI, looks like the wednesday afternoon mirai mini stream will be another mallsai exploration. Probably a mallsai procumbens.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will have to think about it. I need to get rid of some 40 trees to give each tree enough space to grow and develop. I am not convinced I should join. Besides, I am already 3 year into such a challenge.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will have to think about it. I need to get rid of some 40 trees to give each tree enough space to grow and develop. I am not convinced I should join. Besides, I am already 3 year into such a challenge.
I would say bring them my way but I am not in DE... maybe one of this days. Thinking about Germany or South Korea.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Say I've got a cheap one (sub-$20) that I bought last year, repotted when I bought it but otherwise didn't work on. Would it still be ok to join? Otherwise I'll have to try and find a new one before September ;)

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
20 euro ulmus, first pic when bought april 2021 , second pic after some work, oh and btw it came in a traditional tiny blue glazed pot.
IMG_20210425_195238.jpgIMG_20210601_195908.jpga

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Im not sure about including trees bought previously, that have had no work done. Kinda need someone else to give their opinion on accepting or not.

With buying a brand new tree online, like you might need 6-12months for health related issues, bit of a pot luck situation. So is it unfair that some already have trees that have guaranteed health?

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
So that I understand this...I buy a cheap tree from Amazon and then augment it using a trunk splitter or screws or whatever else might come to mind? That sounds like a lot of fun!

What's wrong with the 'dreaded' blue pot? I know nothing of them but why are they bad?

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So that I understand this...I buy a cheap tree from Amazon and then augment it using a trunk splitter or screws or whatever else might come to mind? That sounds like a lot of fun!

What's wrong with the 'dreaded' blue pot? I know nothing of them but why are they bad?
the dreaded blue pot can have some really horrible things like no drainage holes or glued on rocks and figurines

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
as long as they have holes in em, the larger sized blue pots make decent training pots.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I am definitely game. I bought the exact tree you’re talking about this past week from Brussels via Amazon (so free shipping and got it in two days) as soon as I saw this thread. It’s really not bad. Definitely a mass produced Mallsai pot but green instead of blue. Not the “S” shape I expected either. Pretty cool little broom. I’m going try what I learned from @markyscott in the Ebihara thread to build the trunk base. Looking forward to developing this little guy further. Should be fun.

View attachment 387063View attachment 387064
Do you mind sharing the Amazon site your bought this tree from? I don't see a site with trees like this. Thank you, Katie

Top Bottom