Prostrata Juniper work in progress

NJoyLife

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
My friend gave me his Prostrata after losing interest and hearing that I was getting into the hobby two weeks ago. It started out as an overgrown Prostrata in a bonsai pot. I selected my branches that gave it taper and made Jin to those that didn't work for the composition. After removing all of the dead and old needles, I have wired the branches, chose my apex and opened it up. Now it's time for sun and fertilizer to green it up and start some back budding, then I need to wait for repotting season(to reposition for my new front) to remove the Miracle Grow potting mix soil my friend used.

Any critiques, suggestions or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
Mel

Attachments

• IMG_7230.JPG
    IMG_7230.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_7231.JPG
    IMG_7231.JPG
    400.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_7232.JPG
    IMG_7232.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_7234.JPG
    IMG_7234.JPG
    394.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_7239.JPG
    IMG_7239.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_7329.JPG
    IMG_7329.JPG
    375.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_7330.JPG
    IMG_7330.JPG
    374.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_7363.JPG
    IMG_7363.JPG
    386.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_7368.JPG
    IMG_7368.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_7371.JPG
    IMG_7371.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 153

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any critiques, suggestions or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome aboard Mel :) It would be a good idea to put your basic location and zone in similar to mine in the avatar. It is really hard to comment on this or any other you might post without knowing your location ;)
Grimmy

NJoyLife

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Welcome aboard Mel :) It would be a good idea to put your basic location and zone in similar to mine in the avatar. It is really hard to comment on this or any other you might post without knowing your location ;)
Grimmy
Los Angeles Zone 9a

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice job. I think you have done a pretty good job for a first styling and your plan of attack is good also. I also think you did just the right amount of work, not too much or too little. Every few months remove the weak foliage and leave all the strong healthy bright green foliage as well as the back budding that appears strong. After a year you will have all healthy foliage to work with. Keep us posted.

NJoyLife

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice job, but I think that pot is too big for that tree. Also, your soil looks too water-retentive. Wait until next spring to repot it.

Thanks for your feedback. I will definitely be repotting it into a more size appropriate pot, reposition for my new front and change the substrate in early spring. For now, I'll let it grow.

NJoyLife

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice job. I think you have done a pretty good job for a first styling and your plan of attack is good also. I also think you did just the right amount of work, not too much or too little. Every few months remove the weak foliage and leave all the strong healthy bright green foliage as well as the back budding that appears strong. After a year you will have all healthy foliage to work with. Keep us posted.

All great tips. Thanks!

NJoyLife

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's been a month since it's first styling and I'm starting to see new light green growth.

Built my first bonsai bench for it.

IMG_8316.JPG IMG_8317.JPG IMG_8318.JPG Seems to be recovering well but no back budding yet. It is getting full sun and Biogold fertilizer. I've been misting the foliage in the mornings. Drip irrigation bubbler goes off once during the heat of the day for 10 minutes (when it gets over 90F) then I hand water in the evening. That's it for now.

Regards,
Mel

NJoyLife

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Update. It's is responding to fertilizer and lots of sun with lots of new growth and back budding. Planning to do some carving soon to create more taper and movement near the apex of the trunk. That's all for now.

Regards,
Mel

Attachments

• IMG_8715.JPG
    IMG_8715.JPG
    532.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8716.JPG
    IMG_8716.JPG
    628.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8717.JPG
    IMG_8717.JPG
    540.5 KB · Views: 70

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If a Hooker is John Candy.....

I like your training and automobile...

But what of your planes?

It looks nice but you should make the left and right sides land on different planes.
It will be more dynamic.

I like the automobile....
But I would remove it and view the tree for a while without it...

The tree looks like a tree with it there....
I think it is giving you a false sense of accomplishment.

With it gone, I think you will better see the shrub again, thereby making it easier for you to further the tree look.

Nice growth and wiring!

Sorce

NJoyLife

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I agree. I will work on designing different planes for the pads. Thanks for your recommendations.

Top Bottom