Prostrata juniper

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi all,
I finally have some new bonsai work to contribute here. This is a prostrata juniper that I bought from a nice vendor at the last California convention in Riverside. Here is the original front of the tree according to the previous owner. This tree was worked on many years ago with Ben Oki, but over the years, it was left neglected and overgrown. It's shari is now almost all eaten through by termites. There were some fat termites on this tree that I had to take care of first. This picture is from November 21, 2009. The tree is about 26 inches tall.

Attachments

• original back.jpg
    original back.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Here's the original back side of it.

Attachments

• original front.jpg
    original front.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 98

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I am having trouble uploading the "after" pictures right now, so it will be awhile before you see more pics. Please feel free to offer any virts and sketches or comments. I did tweaked it a little already though.

Last edited:

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking forward to seeing the "after" photo. I already like it. I'm not sure what changes I would make besides thinning the pads and maybe a shallower pot.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's an idea, might be generic, i dunno?

Dave

Attachments

• si virt.jpg
    si virt.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 61

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Si,

I like what is there and it has allot of potential. Could you take pictures against a black background or a background that doesn't have any shadows? It would assist greatly with virts.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments Barry. It needs a lot of cutting back. The outline of the tree is too wide for the trunk size.
Dave, that virt is pretty close to what I had in mind!
Rick, sorry I couldn't have a better background. I don't have a good photography setup. I usually don't plan these things out in advance.

Here's a thumbnail sketch of what I had in mind for it. Me and Bonhe had a great time using this tree as a styling exercise a few weeks ago. It has to be a bunjin.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 49

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Si, I can't wait to see your final work on this great specimen.
I think you shouldn't take a picture with direct sunlight. It's too harsh and contrast. I like to use indirect light with dull color background. Any way, thanks a lot for taking time to teach me how to sketch. Yout talent in sketching is absolutely superior. Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Bonhe. You know me, I usually hate to take pictures. This morning, I just grabbed my kid's fleece blanket and hold it up as a back drop. The shadows are ugly but they give a hint to the 3-Dimensional curves of the tree.
I worked on this tree 2 weeks ago. I chopped off several big branches and jin them, and cleaned up the shari quite a bit. I applied lime sulfur last week and again last night, that's why most of the shari still looks so yellow. When it goes in a proper pot this Spring, I will take better pictures.

Here's the new front of the tree:

Attachments

• new front A.jpg
    new front A.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Here is another option for the new front view of the tree. It used to be the back.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• new front B.jpg
    new front B.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Here are the rest of the pics from various sides.
Any critiques, comments, virts, etc... are appreciated.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• new back.jpg
    new back.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 78
  • right side view.jpg
    right side view.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 68
  • right side view 2.jpg
    right side view 2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 75

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Si, good work. I like this front. I tried to virt it. I want to see jins connected together with shari. With the going down branch I want to see more movement, kind of repeatting the upward trunk movement. What do you think? Bonhe

Attachments

• new%20front%20A[1] modified.jpg
    new%20front%20A[1] modified.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 47

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work Si. You did make the tree I was seeing. Great movement in that trunk! Bunjin or Bust!!!

Dave

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not quite what I had in mind but good work. FWIW I was thinking bunjin as well. Now you need a new pot to really finish the transformation.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Catfish, that view is pretty good too, as far as the trunk line is concerned, but the top foliage pad is facing the wrong way for it. I saved several small back branches on top just in case I need to change the front again.

Hi Bonhe, yes I need to finish the deadwood work. The shari is actually continous all the way to the top apex; and the trunk is almost completely hollow all the way to the top too. There are 2 lifelines, but they are rather flat still. I see that you virtually bended that cascading branch. I can't do that in real life though. It is very hard and brittle and mostly hollow too. I am thinking about shortening that cascading branch some more though, for a more compact look. What do you think? My pictures are aweful! I will try for some better pics soon. I am on vacation this week.

Thanks for the comments Dave and Rick. I am going Christmas shopping for a pot right now. Yippee!

Si

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Hi Bonhe, yes I need to finish the deadwood work. The shari is actually continous all the way to the top apex; and the trunk is almost completely hollow all the way to the top too. There are 2 lifelines, but they are rather flat still. I see that you virtually bended that cascading branch. I can't do that in real life though. It is very hard and brittle and mostly hollow too. I am thinking about shortening that cascading branch some more though, for a more compact look. What do you think? My pictures are aweful! I will try for some better pics soon. I am on vacation this week.

Thanks for the comments Dave and Rick. I am going Christmas shopping for a pot right now. Yippee!

Si
Hi Si, if you want to bend that branch, you may use V shape cutting technique. I have been using this technique quite a bit on my JBP and it worked well. Have a nice vacation Si. Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Dennis, thanks for bumping this thread up. I'll post some updates soon. I need to redo some wiring and some pruning first. It is very overgrown now.
Si

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Here's a picture of this tree today. 2-3 years ago I changed the front and put it in to a proper bunjin style pot. It is overgrown and very bushy now. Time for another trimming.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 57
Top Bottom