Prostrata junipers

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is a prostrata juniper that I have had for two growing seasons now. Does anyone know the correct way to prune this type of juniper. The internodes are not like those on deciduous trees. I was thinking where the needles come out of the branch, this is where the internode would be located and thus a new shoot would appear at the base of the needle where the cut is made. Rather, when you cut a small branch the bud developes in another area on the branch - farther below the cut. This makes it difficult to know where to make the cut. Its a beautiful tree -just need to know the correct method of pruning. Thank you.

Dave V.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 94

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
one more time with the prostrata

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you satisfied with the canopy shape and where the tree is presently? If you are then very small finger pinching can be done thru the growing season. Mine is about Feb till May. I do not prune any more after that till the beginning of Sept. when I get some shoot movement again.

If on the other hand you wish to change the shape and redirect energy and things like that then if you are cutting wood with shears then you can do that thru the summer and it will bud. If your summers are hot like mine I wouldn't start now. I'd wait untill the end of August and then go for it.

Pinching junipers too hard when it is hot will sometimes stall the growth and though it won't die it will look sick never having green tips and water stains will build up in the scales and make the foliage look grey. Not very attractive.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I know you weren't asking for styling advice. I saw this tree and the image below is what stuck out to me. The idea could be refined a little more than I was willing to show in this virtual.

Attachments

• 003-ed.jpg
    003-ed.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 62

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
bwaynef, That looks very nice! I will seriously consider this. Thank you.

Dave V.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi bwaynef, Well, after a long sleepless night of tossing and turning and weighing the pros and cons with removing the lower branches, I decided to leave them on. I do like the tree in the virtual that you made, it does look very nice. However, this tree as it is now was the original design made by one of the early bonsai artist in America. To me it has a historic value. This person was known for low sweeping branches and traditionl japanese design. Again, I apperciate your input and if this tree did not have this history with it , I might do it.

Sincerely,

Dave V.

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Dave, In my neck of the woods I have pinched prostratas back extremely hard in the spring with no ill affects. I traded my large prostrata a few years back and have been keeping an eye out for a nice one (like yours). I like the look of your tree and favor the shorter, wider look. There is a bonsai nursery that is located in the east (I think) that had a lot of extremely nice prostratas that were from a husband and wife and started back in the 60's. If I find the website I will report back or maybe someone else can think of it.

Tom

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Dave, The site for the prostratas was Bonsai West and the trees were from the Hatanakas who were from Orange Co. Check it out if want to see some very nice prostratas.

Tom

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Tom, That is where I got this prostrata. Mr. and Mrs. Hatanaka is who you are referring to.

I feel an affection to the original design. Thanks for you input.

Dave V.

Mark59

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Dave, I've got a Hatanaka prostrate juniper as well from Bonsai West that I got about three years ago. I remember the tree that you have there very well when it was on their website and looked at it often. Very nice!!!

Top Bottom