Prune Escaping Roots????

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I noticed one of my JMs that are growing out seems to have grown roots out of its container and into the ground. It's in a large 6 gallon container and I had concerns that the escaping roots may prevent formation of feeder roots in the pot. Question is should I cut the roots? If so, should I do it now, wait for dormancy or just wait for next spring? In an ideal world, I'd like to move the pot to an area of my yard where everything will be mulched.

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
If growing out, having the roots into ground will speed up that process.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You will definitely get more growth and thickening with roots into the ground. Problem is sometimes just one or 2 roots escape meaning those will be much thicker than any others leading to uneven nebari.
I assume the roots have only gone to ground this summer? If you are concerned about overwintering simply cut the escaped roots. There will be plenty of feeder roots in the pot to keep the tree alive. Trees always have a backup plan. I cut escaped roots any time I need to and have never had a problem.
If the roots have been out of the pot for a few years it may be a different story.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Obviously, you need to cut the escape root if you move the pot for winter storage. In my zone 5b moving the tree would be a must. You are in 7b, do you really need to move your tree? I'm not in your climate, I can not answer that. I suspect you don't need to move the tree for health purposes, so then its up to you.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Different animals, tap root and feeder roots. A tap root will not prevent feeder roots but pump water to them and support them, that is their function. So your concern is later chop to the tap root callus formation so root heals fast and does not rot up the stem. I think whatever time of year maples are best to callus.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Different animals, tap root and feeder roots. A tap root will not prevent feeder roots but pump water to them and support them, that is their function. So your concern is later chop to the tap root callus formation so root heals fast and does not rot up the stem. I think whatever time of year maples are best to callus.

Much information floating out there about tap roots is bogus. The OPs tree is in a 6 gallon pot, it is a maple. By the time roots come out the bottom of a 6 gallon pot they are no longer "tap roots". Maples are not dependent on tap roots much past 3 weeks of age after sprouting. Mature maple bonsai can be grown in containers less than one inch of depth, no need for a tap root. In general there is little or no worry about cutting these escape roots. I might set the pot on a shelf or rock or patio for a few days to allow cut ends to dry out, just so they don't immediately reroot into the ground. But that would be my only concern.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bogus... the 6 gallon rootbase will need less water than the 1" pot because of tap root efficacy

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bogus... the 6 gallon rootbase will need less water than the 1" pot because of tap root efficacy
I'd like to see your source because this is not at all what I have learned about tap roots in 50 years of growing trees. It is also contrary to what I learned in college.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to see your source because this is not at all what I have learned about tap roots in 50 years of growing trees. It is also contrary to what I learned in college.
You are right, maples do not have much of tap root, I see.
Based on some of the large container trees I move to bonsai containers the tap root is different vegetatively and when grown through the ground can take care of itself. Also any cut to it has to heal well or I can get fungus through the stem. Tap roots can donate water to upper roots. Another observation... they can withstand more watery conditions than fine roots. Again obserbvation.
I suppose my opinion on tap roots runs contrary to popular opinion.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks to all. The roots escaped this season and I ended up moving it. I'm getting my pots on the ground as the cooler temps approach and getting ready to mulch them all in a giant mulch pile. It's musical pots time.

This tree still has some tap root, but none of my other maples have any tap root at all - I'll typically clip the bottom flat on one of the first repots.

Top Bottom