Pruning a Ficus Bonsai, please help

BonsaiLaine

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, first time poster. I believe I have a Ficus Bonsai but please correct me if I am wrong and possibly let me know which type of ficus it is. This plant was my dad's and he passed away so it is very important to me. I have had it 2.5 years now and it has always been pretty dormant. It has been in the same pot since he had it. I water it about once a week, when the soil is dry. Recently it started dropping leaves. It doesn't really have a lot of leaves to lose so I would really like to save it. It has a long branch coming off the main trunk that I believe needs to be pruned, I'm just not sure where to cut it. I would like to turn that cutting into a new plant also but not sure how (very new to bonsai's here). I want to repot it also but not sure how to trim the roots and which soil to use, etc. I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada so the weather is very cold right now. Please help, I really love this plant and it means a lot to me. Thank you.

Attachments

• 2019-12-29 23.32.39.jpg
    2019-12-29 23.32.39.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 148
  • 2019-12-29 23.34.12.jpg
    2019-12-29 23.34.12.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 161

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes this is a Ficus microcarpa. That's the scientific name. The more common name for this, when grown this way is "ginseng ficus." You should use the search function on this site and search for that to learn a lot more about your tree.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look super vigorous or healthy. The good news is that they are tough plants that don't die too easily and it should be fine. Where do you keep it? Does it get much sun? I would not do anything with this such as pruning or repotting until you learn why those leaves are drooping and yellow.

The two most important things are getting this the correct sunlight and water. It looks overwatered which may be due to poor soil. Can you post a picture of the soil?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am sorry about the loss of your father and I can understand why this plant is important to you.

First of all, if the tree is not healthy, it is not the time to start pruning it.
The bad news is that all the leaves that are turning yellow are going to drop off the tree.
The good news is that Ficus can survive this if you figure out why it happened in the first place and correct the problem.

Its either been allowed to dry out too much or the soil has been too waterlogged.
I would guess its the former instead of the latter but I cant be sure.

My advice is to watch the watering. Water it when it just starts to dry out. Do not let it dry out. Ficus are tropical trees and hate to dry out.
Also if you want it to thrive, get a light with a full spectrum bulb and put it under the light. It will work better than just putting it near a sunny window.

Last edited:

BonsaiLaine

Seedling
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the soil. I have always watered it the same for the two years I have had it. Possibly I am overwatering.

Attachments

• 2019-12-30 01.39.50.jpg
    2019-12-30 01.39.50.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 129

BonsaiLaine

Seedling
Reaction score
It is in a South facing window. It gets filtered sunlight through some sheer drapes. The window might be drafty I was thinking but it has been in front of this window for over a year.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think there may be another problem with this ficus. The leaves on the tall branch look different from the other 2 branches. These ginseng ficus are usually grafted and I think the rootstock has sprouted. That tall shoot is from the roots and will grow much quicker than the smaller leaf grafted part and, if it is allowed to continue to grow, will overpower the grafted part. i think I would cut it off now as the small leaf parts look relatively healthy in the photos. Getting rid of that sucker will allow the tree to divert resources to the grafted part and may save it.
Addressing the problem of leaf drop:
There is no mention of feeding this plant so I guess you have not used any fertiliser. By now the tree will be starving but luckily ficus can survive on very little nutrients. Winter is not a good time to feed ficus so probably best to wait until spring before adding fertiliser. Starvation can cause leaf drop.
Even in winter ficus need light. I hope it has some natural light as often as possible. Inadequate light will cause leaves to die.
Ficus are sub tropical plants so most cannot tolerate cold. If your tree has been cold that could explain the poor leaves.
Too much water can also kill some roots and cause leaves to drop. Make sure the soil gets a chance to dry out a bit before adding more water. They can usually tolerate being a bit dry but will also drop leaves if they go too long without water. The longer the tree is in the same pot the more roots will be filling the pot so watering the same will not work. Need to match water to the plants needs and how dry the soil gets.

My suggestion would be to find the best light, warm place for the tree for the rest of winter. Check watering and water only when the soil needs it. Cross fingers and hope it survives until spring (very good chance). In late spring or early summer it should have a good reopt - prune roots as needed, replace old potting mix with fresh then start feeding a couple of weeks after the repot. Find someone who can advise or help with that if you are unsure.

Because this is a ficus I have every confidence it will survive despite the current condition so good luck.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree this plant needs better overall health.

But that shoot of large foliage is definitely what has tipped the balance, since you are stating water hasn't changed. Though if it is the first winter by that window, that may be helping now.

Looks like 2 of the 3 roots are wrinkled dead and likely mushy.

Problem I see is those 2 little shoots seem to be coming off those dead roots, and the only thing alive on the good root seems to be the large leaves. Less them twigs have buds.

The only way to save it may be by taking a cutting of the small foliage.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is a picture of the soil. I have always watered it the same for the two years I have had it. Possibly I am overwatering.

I agree about the two different types of foliage, but I don't think that is the primary issue (which is why I lazily advised the search function where you can learn about how these are grafted, etc.).

Based on that soil and my experience with these, it looks like the roots are staying too wet in that soil. This leads to root rot, and then, somewhat paradoxically, the tree doesn't get enough water even though it may be sitting in it.

As @source said, the grafted foliage looks fine, as does the root that it's attached to.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree the soil looks very wet. Also if the tree has not been repotted in over 2 years, it might be very root bound and that pot might be getting a bit tight for it.
Also does that pot have drainage holes? If not then the roots very well could be staying too wet.
You could try getting a slightly larger pot with drainage holes, and slip pot it into the new pot without disturbing the roots (at least as little as possible).
Break up the edge of the old root ball gently to loosen some of the soil and put it in the new pot and fill around it with the same type of soil.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hope we can help you with this sentimental plant for you. Looks like multiple issues.

1. Keeping this in a window with even a sheer curtain will block too much light. I understand the situation with cold temps in your region but it needs as much light as possible to hold it to summer when you can get it outside into full sunlight where it can recharge. A grow light or other supplemental light is necessary here to allow it to gain health.

2. Check the bottom of the pot for drainage holes. If there are none, I would consider finding a similar sized pot with drainage holes so that you can properly water. In a pot with no drainage holes, root rot is common. It becomes difficult to tell if youve watered properly or not because you never know how much water is in the pot. Drainage holes allow a deep soaking of the medium and aeration.

3. Being in a pot 3 yrs with no fertilizer is not good. Plants need the nutrients to be healthy. I would use a small amount of fertilizer with your watering every other watering or every three waterings until you can properly repot and fertilize in spring.

All three of these can be the cause of the discoloration in your leaves. Do some research on your species and check out youtube videos from those who have good ficus plants. You likely will not get a cutting to root in the environment you have the tree now. I would not remove either the stems.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So much conflicting advice, bonsaiLaine’s head must be spinning.

I honestly think it's pretty clear that there is a consensus: there's something wrong with the soil/watering. All of that will be helped by:
  • Slip potting into a pot with drainage holes (if it doesn't have them already)
  • Ensuring that the soil isn't staying sopping wet or drying out to dust
  • Increasing light and potentially temperature (opening sheer drapes, adding supplemental lighting if possible)
That's the primary things. Beyond that:
  • Lightly fertilize to make sure it's not nutrient deficient. (not looking to boost growth right now, just making sure it has what it needs.)
  • Consider that this is grafted and once it seems healthy, consider cutting off foliage that sprouts from the rootstock
And yet further beyond that:
  • Next spring/summer, get this thing outside in full sun once it's warm enough at night (take a week or two to ease it into full sun so the leaves don't burn)
  • Read up on repotting and get this into a suitable soil mix when it's consistently above 60 degrees outside
This is pretty much what @Orion_metalhead said.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reckon it's too cramped to drain.

How does it get watered?

Ever to the sink and flushed?

Or always just pouring where it stands?

Sorce

BonsaiLaine

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,

The pot does have drainage holes. It is in a plastic pot and then just placed in the ceramic outer pot. I water it by taking it to the sink and letting the water drain out of the bottom before I put it back into the ceramic outer pot. It has lost a significant amount of leaves since I last posted. I will post a picture down below. I moved the plant to my daughter's room (right above the room it was previously in) where it stays the warmest in all of the house and it gets the same south facing window but without the sheer curtains. It does not look to be doing well :( I am going to order a full spectrum light off amazon and also going to purchase a fertilizer tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a fertilizer for this plant? I am afraid I am going to lose the plant but I am willing to still try. If all the leaves have dropped does that mean the plant is not going to come back? Also, I had watered the soil just before I posted in the forum so that is why it looked wet. I normally don't let it dry out however there is a possibility it dried out while being cared for while I was away from home a few times.
Please recommend a fertilizer I could use. Also do you think a full spectrum light will be good for it? Thirdly, should I be trying to keep it warmer once I have the light or will the light keep it warm? Thanks everyone.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Best not to fertilize while it is so sick. The plant cannot use nutrients at the moment and that could cause further damage.
Many trees come back from situations like this. Just give it the best care and hope that it is not too late.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will just quote the post I made on another forum to your tree, which you never returned to..
leatherback said:
THe pant seems to sit directly in a pot without drainage. Which means you have to be precies when watering. It would be better to have an inner pot which drains, sitting in the decorative pot. That way, if you give too much water, you can throw the drained water away. This will prevent the roots sitting in a layer of water. This is my guess as to why it is sulking.

As for trimming and repotting.. Do NOT trim before it is healthy. And if you re-pot, do it only to solve the water issue. Do not do a lot of work on the roots. RIght now, the plant is very weak and very small insults can now toss it over the edge.

If it were mine I would

- Check very closely for insects and mites. Any brown-green disc-like shapes 1-3mm diameter could indicate scale, common on Ficus (Yes it is). THey are prone to spider mite and thrips. All of these can give the same look to a plant
- Buy a plastic well-draining pot and some good quality potting soil. Pot slightly larger than the current
- As gentle as possible, take the plant out of the current pot. You might have to slide a knife along the inside of the pot to get it out
- Put some soil in the new pot, put the plant on top, fill the pot with soil. Do not squeeze the soil in.
- Water well, allowing water to drain. Backfill the pot with soil in the spaces that now have appeared.

Put the plant in a bright spot. Ideally in a place where it gets most of your currently weak sun. Keep is nice and warm.
You can pull a plastic bag over the plant. This will raise humidity and can aid in recovery. I do this to all my tropicals when they are suffering, and so far, so good..

Top Bottom