Pruning advice...

Mike Hart

Seedling
Reaction score
I went out yesterday and bought this juniper and did a little pruning on it but I didn't want to get too carried away without asking for some advice...
20160613_212700.jpg20160613_234636.jpg
After
20160613_232711.jpg
20160614_001711.jpg

Attachments

• 20160613_212700.jpg
    20160613_212700.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 44

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a very young tree. You got a Procumbens Nana/ Dwarf Japanese Garden Juniper/ Green Mound Juniper. THE quintessential "instant Bonsai"! It is small enough still that some aggressive wiring could be done to create interest... Go check out @Smoke blog... He had a good little write up about twisting up young Junis like this.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm sure you know that this is an outdoor tree - year around. You have put a bit of a hurt on it (nicely done) so now just learn patience to not do any more this year and learn to not just keep it alive for years, but to have it thrive. And welcome to the crazy world of horticulture art.

ps - you will get many conflicting bits of information. ensure you take all in, but only listen to those who have experience!

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I went out yesterday and bought this juniper and did a little pruning on it but I didn't want to get too carried away without asking for some advice...
View attachment 108287View attachment 108291
After
View attachment 108288
View attachment 108292
I saw one exactly like it in Walmart (twins?), and you could tell that it was styled by someone with some experience and it was on sale for $15.00 it had the same size trunk, and semi cascade too. It was a steal for the price. Why didn't I buy it? Because it only needed to be slip potted into a bonsai pot and watered. I would imagine it looked similar to yours before it was styled. Don't get the wrong message I like yours but living in an apartment and without any land to winter it in would be a ridiculous purchase,
because I'm reserving room on the cement slab I call a patio and contemplating buying a mini fridge for the ones I already have and the ones I really really want. Preferably the ones I can get my dollars worth out of, solely because of the lack of room.

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The other reason I didn't buy it is because some A-hole chopped it where the apex should go.

Top Bottom