Pruning and Styling Advice

bonsaivienna

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm very new to bonsai, and would appreciate the guidance and wisdom of the community on where to take this Japanese Holly, my second-ever bonsai project. For background, this was a $15 purchase at the local nursery earlier this year (around April).

I root pruned, potted, and did some initial pruning and styling at that time. As you can see, I have turned the tree a bit on its side, exposing some of the more interesting nebari and creating movement in the trunk and main branches to the right. The Holly has done quite well since then, showing some good new growth in the spring and continuing into the summer.

I would like a broader, fuller canopy--not full wind-swept per se, but continuing the movement of the branches up and to the right. The foliage is growing quite vigorously, but it's doing so in clumped bunches. You can see there are some open spots between the main branches that need to be filled in with foliage. (I'd also like to create some Shari on the trunk to give it a better shape and also to cover some of the cut wounds that are there right now.)

My questions are about how to proceed from here. How do I get better ramification of the smaller branches, and more even/uniform distribution of leaves? Should I prune back some of the shoots and branches and thin it out now, so I will get more "structured" growth next year? Or at this point do I just let it grow, grow, grow and worry about styling and ramification further down the road?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

IMG_9451.JPG IMG_9452.JPG IMG_9453.JPG IMG_9454.JPG IMG_9455.JPG

BPfeil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome!
Nice tree!
I'm pretty new myself, so I won't be able to give you as detailed of advice as many others on the forum. Personally I would let this tree grow for the time being (And if you're looking to thicken the trunk move it into a grow out box) to achieve the fuller canopy that you're seeking. Also at some future point I would move it into a smaller pot (If you're happy with the current trunk diameter), from the pictures it looks a little large, I think it takes attention away from the tree itself.
Once again I'm new, and haven't tried to work with this species before, so hopefully someone who has a little more insight that I do can help out!

Top Bottom