Pruning blight on Ponderosa Pine? Neem oil?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hi all,

I recently noticed some blighted tips on my Ponderosa. I plan to spray with a fungicide to prevent the spread. Is it wise, in addition to spraying, to remove the affected needles? If so, should I remove the entire needle at the base or only the infected parts? I can find nothing online about pruning needles in the event of fungus.

Also, I would like to spray with neem oil, as I prefer organics and, as I understand it, coppers can destroy the soil. It seems a lot of people caution against using neem on needles/leaves because of the potential for leaf burn. However, I've liberally sprayed neem oil on my trident maple leaves to no ill effect. The leaves glisten with oil in the summer sun, and yet no ill effects whatsoever on older leaves, younger leaves, or anything in between. I've read at least one place that the neem is not the issue causing the leaves to yellow--it's the soap added to the neem in order to emulsify it. I don't use soap. Is the idea that neem causes leaf burn more myth than fact? Can anyone else confirm? I want more than correlation (i.e., "I used neem and now my leaves are yellow"), since, as mentioned, it seems that other factors, like soap, might come into play (not to mention the fact that many plants receiving neem oil are already sick and, thus, more prone to adverse effects from any number of sources--neem representing but one).

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Chris

Waldo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I have been alternating Daconil and a copper fungicide every other week on my Ponderosas. When I see any spiders I use a soap based spray. I have had no ill effects from any of these. As far as removing needles, As long as the foiliage
mass is not reduced significantly, you can remove affected needles. I think it is easier to prevent than it is to cure or correct. So, I would start early in the spring as buds start to swell, applying fungicide. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to separate the affected tree or trees from others until it is under control. You should post some photos of your Ponderosas. good luck with them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
[QUOTE="One First Matter All, post: 765496, member: 31340
Thanks for the link. Believe I've seen it before. Unless I read too quickly, it doesn't say anything about pruning needles, though.”]

That was is regards to neem oil. I am no expert on pruning. Others might be able to help you with that if they had a photo. I think it’s safe to say you don’t want them to remain and spread.

Top Bottom