Pruning bonsai with fire

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could you do it to simulate a tree the didn’t die in a forest fire?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sure.

I've done it to cure nectria infection of some Japanese maples (called cauterization). Just get a little butane torch and apply it carefully. You'll also note that it is common to scorch newly created shari/jins with a torch - it burns off lifted grain as well as kind of sealing the exposed wood surface.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If you are referring to deadwood, then yes its done often.
Ive seen Harry Harrington use a black watercolor to simulate fire/rot as well if you dont want to mess with actual fire.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A lot of our Australian native trees are adapted to survive wildfire because it is a regular part of the ecology here. After fire many sprout epicormic buds all over the trunk and branches. Some of our growers use the blowtorch to simulate a wildfire in order to get their bonsai to regenerate new buds. I'm not certain if this works better than simply pruning but playing with fire excites some people.

You will need to know your species and how much heat they can tolerate. Even fire resistant trees can be killed if they get too hot.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can see the fire in his eyes. He is addicted to bonsai!
Several chemicals produce a green flame when added....I see him thinking he’s adding supplements to his trees. A burning desire for improvements. I hope it’s not contagious.
However, if done right....I can see some tasty marshmallows cooked over the fire.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a hazy memory of someone putting together a forest planting in the early 90's that incorporated fire killed and damaged trees. If you're setting fire to live trees, obviously, you have to be conservative with the flames...protect the living tissue (branches, trunk sections, etc) you plan to keep. I seem to remember the guy that did the burn planting wrapped living branches near the planned torch zones with aluminum foil and protected surrounding living trunk tissue by wrapping it in clay. The section to be burned was stripped of bark and the exposed wood was burned with a butane torch...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think you're playing with fire. You need to shield the other, close branches, just in case...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I burned aphids off my crab last year and it sent the next 2-3 branches out just as if it had been pruned.

You can burn em off a spruce and not kill the branch.

I don't think fire is confusing for them.
There are purpose built mechanisms for fire.

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Many of our California chaparral natives have adapted to survive fire. Mountain Mahogany, Manzanita, California Holly - all can get burnt to the soil line and survive. Giant Sequoia, as many people know, actually REQUIRES fire in order to reproduce - its cones won't open unless heated by fire.

The biggest challenge, IMHO, is getting it to look natural. After a fire, any burnt branches will fall off a tree pretty quickly. Within a couple of years, the only sign that a big tree has been in a fire (if it survived) will be fire scars on the trunk. So if you were going for the fire-scarred look, make sure you keep that in mind. Think of a charred shari, or an uro with a blackened interior.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I would use regular techniques for growing and maintaining your tree. Then, you have some deadwood which you charr.
Pruning with fire seems too random to me.

Top Bottom