Pruning First Year Maple Seedlings??

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm wondering if I should prune my first year JM Acer Palmatum seedlings this season or wait till next spring? They seem to be currently growing their second growth this year now.

Attachments

• AP-Maple-Seedlings-20220901-1.jpg
    AP-Maple-Seedlings-20220901-1.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 47
  • AP-Maple-Seedlings-Forest-20220901-1.jpg
    AP-Maple-Seedlings-Forest-20220901-1.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 47

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you want them to get thicker trunks then no you don't want to prune them.

Pruning will slow down growth.

If you are happy with tiny little trunks with huge leaves, then prune in late winter/ early spring

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the replies. No on tiny trunks and huge leaves 🙂 I thought it should wait but wanted to get others thoughts on the process. I've got plenty of time to let them grow out and get some of them into the ground for thickening them up.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'd be thinking about wiring the trunks and getting some movement down low... as in just at ground level and up... before they become to rigid to bend safely. Next year, work the roots, tweak the wiring/trunk movement, +++ fert... but no pruning the canopy for a few years... my 0.02.

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd be thinking about wiring the trunks and getting some movement down low... as in just at ground level and up... before they become to rigid to bend safely. Next year, work the roots, tweak the wiring/trunk movement, +++ fert... but no pruning the canopy for a few years... my 0.02.
Thx @Dav4, I did loosely wire about 4 or 5 of them so far, was planning do to some more this weekend. Also in the forest planting in the pic above, I tied some thin cotton string around the base of 4 or so together to make a clump planting to try that out to see if it works. Kind of like some do the washer trick. So far those are looking pretty good.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
FWIW, but not to start an argument, I do all of my pruning and root work in late October/November, once the leaves are mostly gone. My trees all sit out on benches and are frozen solid each year when we get our snow and winter cold. Oddly, they never experience any damage and flush out beautifully in spring. I cannot advise this for other climates.....this is just my personal experience.

Top Bottom