Pruning Japanese maple seedlings in January

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I want to start a few projects this year that include putting 2 year old Japanese maple seedlings through a hole in a tile. For that I need to prune off some branches and the top of most of those seedlings in order to fit through the hole. My question is if I can do it now or are the seedlings going to bleed to dead if I do this?

P1040895.JPG

Reaction score
All I can say is that I trunk chopped a trident about 3 weeks ago. No bleeding.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
If it does start to bleed just take out of the pot and cut the roots. Bleeding stops almost instantly.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Trees can't "bleed" to death... they don't have a cardiovascular system. Make your cut and properly seal the wound. As others have mentioned, trimming the roots at the same time can decrease or stop the sap loss entirely, but it's not necessary to do, either.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bleeding doesn't begin until the sap rises which is dependent upon your climate. More of a concern would be die back from a fresh cut in extreme cold.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The bleeding you can see for maple and some other species in the ABC families is mostly just waters. The plant floods the sapwood in spring. When there is a hole, it flows out untill the tree blocks this. But.. Water is aplenty, so nothing to worry about. And the few sugars it looses are quickly recovered once foliage is back. Trees have reserves to flush multiple times n s[ring, just in case something goes wrong with the first flush.

Don't worry, just go ahead.

Top Bottom