Pruning my maple (deshojo) bonsai

riginos92

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello there,

I need your help. I Have to decide which branches to cut.

Attachments

• IMG_20221029_094717.jpg
    IMG_20221029_094717.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20221029_094644.jpg
    IMG_20221029_094644.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 78
Reaction score
This is going to sound extreme but...
If it was mine, id cut both trunks down to the first side branches and wire those up as the new leaders.
Its a hard thing to do early on in your bonsai journey (taking the whole top off something) but what youre doing is taking out most of the straight trunks that have no real movement and creating two new leaders that you can shape which will add more movement and visual appeal to the tree.
Please dont take the above as an insult as the tree is still lovely the way it is.
Its funny you know...as you progress on your bonsai journey, what initially seemed like horrifically destructive practices (taking the whole top off something) starts making more and more sense as you develop an ability or skill to visualize the tree as you would like it to look in say 5-10 years.
Otherwise, just prune the tree lightly, wire and shape a few branches, and enjoy : )

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I'd remove 2 of the three main branches. At this point it really doesn't matter which ones. Then move it out of the small pot into a grow box or the ground and let it grow for a while.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
First up you need to understand there is no single way to bonsai and that different people will see each tree differently which is why you have already had 2 quite different answers. Both the above are legitimate and there's probably many more good options for your tree.
You need to decide what you want. You can choose a quick path to a lower quality small tree in a pot or take the longer view and develop a really impressive high quality bonsai with thick trunk and branches. It is extremely difficult to do both at the same time.

Let us know which way you want to go and we can try to pick options that will help.

Top Bottom