Pruning Questions Newly Collected Material - Crape Myrtle

Replikant

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So have a newly collected Crape Myrtle that's been in pot 3-4 weeks and is doing well with newly budded shoots up to 12" long at this point. My question is can I begin to chose my main branches at this point .. meaning the ones I am going to keep .. and eliminate the less desirable shoots. Or, is it necessary to leave the tree for a full season to become fully established? I am happy with trunk thickness already so that's not an issue. It seems to have just exploded with growth and the roots are healthy and I left much of the root mass. I feel inclined to begin choosing main branches already. Ideas or comments welcome ...

Thanks in advance,

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crape myrtle grow like weeds. If it already shooting out new growth you should be in the clear. I would start choosing branches now. I would also consider very lightly wiring side branches down before they get too hard to bend.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
On the other hand, it won't hurt anything (except your patience) to wait until June or July to do the pruning. That way all the new growth and the remaining roots will have had time to get used to each other.

Top Bottom