Pruning three year old trident maples

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have maybe ten trident maples that my wife gave to me two years ago. There are several that are individual trees. One grove with seve trees And one grouping of five trees that were secured at the base to form a single multi trunk tree. All have done well this year and are now maybe two feet in height, with ramification. So far, I have done nothing to them, other than daily care (watering and light fertilizer). Can I get advice from Trident Maple guys on pruning? When and how much shuold I prune. In Zone 8 I still have at least 3 or four months before I should see leaf drop. Budding might start in April. Shouold I trim them at all this year or just let them gwow another season? Any advice would be appreciated.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have maybe ten trident maples that my wife gave to me two years ago. There are several that are individual trees. One grove with seve trees And one grouping of five trees that were secured at the base to form a single multi trunk tree. All have done well this year and are now maybe two feet in height, with ramification. So far, I have done nothing to them, other than daily care (watering and light fertilizer). Can I get advice from Trident Maple guys on pruning? When and how much shuold I prune. In Zone 8 I still have at least 3 or four months before I should see leaf drop. Budding might start in April. Shouold I trim them at all this year or just let them gwow another season? Any advice would be appreciated.

A picture of the tree would go far in helping people give you advice

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not so much asking how to prune, but when to prune.

If you are just pruning back branches. February or early March is good. You want to do it before buds start to swell. Where you aree that could start happening in March, maybe sooner if its a really mild winter

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If you are just pruning back branches. February or early March is good. You want to do it before buds start to swell. Where you aree that could start happening in March, maybe sooner if its a really mild winter
Thanks. What I thought, but good to read it.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I prune tridents whenever they need it. Tridents are strong growing trees and often need trimming several times each year.
Whether to prune or not is the real question and that depends on what stage they are up to and what response you want from them. That's probably why people are asking to see them before offering advice.
Many of us let tridents grow freely for several years to thicken the trunks before chopping hard and growing again.
If you want better, more delicate shape and taper it can be better to prune more often and take a little longer to get trunks to size but I find it actually saves time in the long run because you can already have a start on taper and branching with regular pruning.
I would certainly prune the group and clump trees more often as trunk shape and relationship to each other is critical to an attractive result where there's multi trunks.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I grow my clumps in the ground for several years to get the trunk bases to fuse. During that time they will get 5-6’ tall before I lop them off at about 12-15”and let grow out again. For a forest I usually plant 3-4 together in the grond and let them grow a few years with annual lopping back. Once big enough I will select a set of 3 and maybe 4 to go together in a forest pot. Growing several close together allows the roots to intertwine so less root disturbance is required when they go in the forest.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I prune tridents whenever they need it. Tridents are strong growing trees and often need trimming several times each year.
Whether to prune or not is the real question and that depends on what stage they are up to and what response you want from them. That's probably why people are asking to see them before offering advice.
Many of us let tridents grow freely for several years to thicken the trunks before chopping hard and growing again.
If you want better, more delicate shape and taper it can be better to prune more often and take a little longer to get trunks to size but I find it actually saves time in the long run because you can already have a start on taper and branching with regular pruning.
I would certainly prune the group and clump trees more often as trunk shape and relationship to each other is critical to an attractive result where there's multi trunks.
Thank you. They really need to be cut back a little now becaue theyare growing really tall and drooping over from height weight. I may at least top them (several inches) to allow for more energy to go to sdie branches.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you. They really need to be cut back a little now becaue theyare growing really tall and drooping over from height weight. I may at least top them (several inches) to allow for more energy to go to sdie branches.
You really need a plan when you start a trident from seed/seedling. From my perspective, just trimming the top back because the tree is falling over isn't going to further you design, whatever it is. If you want the trunks to get bigger/fatter, then let them run without pruning.... you can even wire the trunks upward if it's really bothering you. If you're wanting more movement in the lower trunks, I'd cut back to a lower side branch and wire that up as the next leader. In a clump, you want different sized trunks, so you'll need to cut different trunks at different heights. Ultimately, you can prune them back very hard ...
1659800914822.png1659800956662.png1659800988433.png

... and don't forget to really work the roots, particularly if you're ground growing them, at least every year or two.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
They really need to be cut back a little now becaue theyare growing really tall and drooping over from height weight. I may at least top them (several inches) to allow for more energy to go to sdie branches.
I agree with @Dav4 You usually need to do more than just take a couple of inches off to stimulate side branches but, as you won't show us pics of the trees it is hard to know what would be appropriate for these trees.

Top Bottom