Pruning Weeping Willow

Ferg91

Sapling
Reaction score
Semi new to bonsai <4 months. I've been able to read through forms to find what I need for the most part however I cannot find much when it comes to when/where/how to prune.
First I would like advise on how to prune back Weeping willow bonsai that started with cuttings. All videos I find about pruning these fast growing trees are individuals cutting back this massive 3-5 foot tall mammoth of a tree. I'm looking for step by step what to do 3 months after the stick was planted, how to get this tall and/or giant stick to look like a bonsai. since apparently there are no such thing as sellable/buyable weeping willow seeds.

Thanks basically have the same thing for pruning 3-4 month old Flamboyant Tree starting from seed.

Attachments

• tempImageOSKtZg.png
    tempImageOSKtZg.png
    381.5 KB · Views: 42

Juic3dup

Seedling
Reaction score
I Just Added some willows to my collection of Bonsai and seen your post! How are your coming along? Any progress or tips I’m new to the species!?

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Willows are so prolific that growing from seed would probably be the least beneficial way to go. Cuttings, ground and air layering are all much faster ways to go. I've bought three different willow cultivars and have at least thirty now all from keeping cuttings etc.

As to pruning I feel like you'll want to just follow e the standard post flush pruning guide lines and wait for new growth to harden off before you cut anything.

More to the point though would be the age of the cutting. I'd probably let it run for a bit so it can accumulate foliage and gather energy. The general rule for a weeping branch is to grow up, out and then down.

You can control this to a degree with wire but Salix is a pretty high water mobility species and the tissue thickens fast so it doesn't take long for the wire to cut in and scar. I can't tell from the picture if the thick stump in the middle has new shoots if not it's still good that it pushed out suckers but it's something that would want to be addressed eventually. The roots also grow rapidly with willows, so be mindful of that down the line as well.

Finally, just keep in mind that willows are super thirsty sponges. As it gets warmer outside you'll likely want to keep the pot in a dish with water. All in all though they are resilient tough trees and pretty forgiving as far as what can be done with them. I think they're a fun species to work with. Good luck with your tree!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t know where you live, your profile doesn’t give a clue, however, in my climate Willows are totally an outdoor all year long tree. Maybe you just brought it inside for photography though. If you don’t find your answers in forums you might simple Google “how to prune willow bonsai trees”. There is a lot of development information and photos for reference…and plenty of stick-starter information. Willows make fascinating bonsai specimens.

Top Bottom