Pruning yamadori collected this year? Or bad idea?

Fluke365

Seedling
Reaction score
I collected a nice little apple tree with a 2.5 inch trunk and approximately 2 ft tall that our cows have kept pruned low for years. Was collected as it was budding and it did real well till a late frost (minnesota). Some of the foilage didn't do so well and the leaves seem to be stunted but the tree is definitely still alive and I'm sure will be fine next year. I wanted to prune back some longer thick branches this fall but am worried that might stress it out too much. Thoughts? I'm thinking I should just wait but it's going to be hard to get into my greenhouse this winter without some pruning.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Normally I would think that you should be fine cutting back some after the tree has gone dormant, but given it was just collected, then already got hit with a frost taking out a good chunk of the foliage, I wouldn't push my luck if it were me.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best practice is to avoid pruning for the first year after collection, and just let it replace the roots you stole from it. Of course you might get away with it if growth over the summer is strong.

Fluke365

Seedling
Reaction score
Normally I would think that you should be fine cutting back some after the tree has gone dormant, but given it was just collected, then already got hit with a frost taking out a good chunk of the foliage, I wouldn't push my luck if it were me.
Thanks, this was what I was thinking... It's an amazing little tree already and I do not want to risk killing it. Patience... I struggle with this, but I'm learning..

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, wait. First year post-collection, I allow ALL growth to fuel root regeneration. FWIW, the measure of whether a tree survived collection is the spring following the collection year. That is when the tree will try to use the roots that it has produced to push new growth. Some trees will push new growth from inertia the first few months after they've been dug up. Sometimes it can be deceptive. If the tree has suffered an injury so soon after being dug up, it needs more time to recover. Put it out of your mind as a pruning or design candidate for at least another year.

Fluke365

Seedling
Reaction score
Yeah, wait. First year post-collection, I allow ALL growth to fuel root regeneration. FWIW, the measure of whether a tree survived collection is the spring following the collection year. That is when the tree will try to use the roots that it has produced to push new growth. Some trees will push new growth from inertia the first few months after they've been dug up. Sometimes it can be deceptive. If the tree has suffered an injury so soon after being dug up, it needs more time to recover. Put it out of your mind as a pruning or design candidate for at least another year.
Thanks, I will be give it time... would normal fertilizing be OK, or should I watch this as well?

Top Bottom