Prunus angustifolia

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Maybe...just a couple of possibilities, I can do a few more if you want, just let me know.

Prunusangustifolia.jpg
Prunusangustifolia-1.png
Prunusangustifolia11.png

Last edited:

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe...just a couple of possibilities, I can do a few more if you want, just let me know.

Outstanding alonsou, thanks for taking the time to create the virtuals. It would appear that you are pretty handy with your computer.

I like this option very much.

Prunusangustifolia-1.png

By all means, please post a few more if you have any additional ideas.

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For those of you that have voiced an interest in this species, below are a few close-ups of the bark on this tree. From left to right, starting at the base of the tree and moving up the trunk. This is typical of the type of bark this species will produce.

Regards,
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0041a.jpg
    IMG_0041a.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0042a.jpg
    IMG_0042a.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0043a.jpg
    IMG_0043a.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0048a.jpg
    IMG_0048a.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 38

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I like the pot it's in...if I had any reservations, it's that the pot is very solid, and anchors the composition, whereas the tree itself has a very free-flowing feeling, so the composition has a bit of tension. Something with feet might change that, but as shown, it would be welcome on my bench any day!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking a more rounded sided pot. Bad virtual.

I removed the hanging down branch some.

Attachments

• roundedbowl.jpg
    roundedbowl.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 53

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...or..maybe a nanban type pot. Took off the hangy down branch some and pruned back the upper branch also.

Attachments

• nanban.jpg
    nanban.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 59

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Okay, now I'm really happy the way it looks like now,

New pot
death wood enhanced
live vein enhanced
long straight branch removed
long branch left side far bended into new position
enjoy!!

Prunusangustifolia-2.png

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the pot it's in...if I had any reservations, it's that the pot is very solid, and anchors the composition, whereas the tree itself has a very free-flowing feeling, so the composition has a bit of tension. Something with feet might change that, but as shown, it would be welcome on my bench any day!

Much obliged Brian,

You have summed up very well my original intentions for this composition. The pot was made specifically with this tree in mind. My original thought was that the pot would act as a counter-balance to the free-flowing feeling of the tree and firmly anchor the tree to the earth.

The tension you speak about was not intentional. However, I think that a bit of tension is not a bad thing in this case.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...or..maybe a nanban type pot. Took off the hangy down branch some and pruned back the upper branch also.

Al,

I appreciate you taking the time to do these two virtuals for me.

Your first choice does not appeal to me very much. To my eye, the smooth, inward curving sides do not provide a stable enough base for the tree.

On the other hand, your second choice works very well I think.

I can see from your virtual that I did not get nanban enough with the pot that I made. I had not made a nanban type pot before and I found that it was a bit of a challenge. The challenge was mainly a mental one. For me, it was not that easy making a good pot that looks bad.

In regards to your virtual trimming, I agree with you on the removal of the upper most branch. I think that will improve the overall look of the tree at this point. I'm not yet convinced on the removal of the hangy branch. I'll make a decision on that one after the tree flowers.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay, now I'm really happy the way it looks like now,

New pot
death wood enhanced
live vein enhanced
long straight branch removed
long branch left side far bended into new position
enjoy!!

Prunusangustifolia-2.png

Thanks alonsou,

Once again your computer skills shine.

What exactly drew your attention to this particular pot? Is it the shape or the glaze?

For me, it is the glaze. This is a classic blue Chun glaze and one that I would not have considered myself.

I appreciate your input.

Cheers,
Paul

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'm afraid for me that blue pot looks a bit tippy. I'd rather have the feet moe firmly anchored to the ground. And plese down cut quite a much off those lower branches. They help make the ree.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm afraid for me that blue pot looks a bit tippy. I'd rather have the feet moe firmly anchored to the ground. And plese down cut quite a much off those lower branches. They help make the ree.

I would agree with you on the shape of the pot Jim, it does not provide a stable base for the tree. However, the color choice was what caught my attention. I know you are not a fan of blue pots but this glaze could work with the right pot.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this tree, your input is always welcome.

Regards,
Paul

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Paul,
For what its worth, I think that Al's (smoke) second pot really works well (nice colour match on the bark and being round it compliments the feminine style)....and I'm with you on the hanging branch, as I like the way it creates the negative space in the composition but I'd put some more movement in it that mirrors/relects the main trunk.
You'll have to update us with leaves on.
Cheers
Graham

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Paul,
For what its worth, I think that Al's (smoke) second pot really works well (nice colour match on the bark and being round it compliments the feminine style)....and I'm with you on the hanging branch, as I like the way it creates the negative space in the composition but I'd put some more movement in it that mirrors/relects the main trunk.
You'll have to update us with leaves on.
Cheers
Graham

Hey Graham,

In my book, your feedback is worth quite a bit.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about this tree.

Have a great day.

Cheers,
Paul

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Opinion about a pot for you is one thing. Of course if it were mine I would take it to the bunjin extreme. The crown is just too busy.

Attachments

• bunjin.jpg
    bunjin.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 69

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Opinion about a pot for you is one thing. Of course if it were mine I would take it to the bunjin extreme. The crown is just too busy.

The view you propose in your virtual is a valid one. It is an approach that I have used in the past with this tree and one that I may return to in the future. In regards to styling, it represents a more conservative path.

Once again, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this tree Al.

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like spring has arrived.

Here is a current photo of this plum tree in bloom.

I hope you enjoy.

Regards,
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0001a.jpg
    IMG_0001a.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0010a.jpg
    IMG_0010a.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 71

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Lovely. One of the earliest bloomers in the woodlands of the SE USA.

I really miss them around here -- which is too high (and chilly) for them, apparently.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Paul,

This is one of my favorite trees. From the first time I saw it, I fell in love with the wildness it expresses. The flowers just ice the cake! Wild, yet beautiful and delicate.

Top Bottom