Prunus Autumnalis in Zone 8a?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've always wanted a flowering cherry tree and found a really nice Prunus Autumnalis. Not sure if these would do well here in north Texas? They say up to zone 8, but with our heat, I wasn't sure.

Anybody else have experience with them in similar climate or area?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Flowering cherries really do appreciate a good dormancy period but if you are in zone 8 you can probably succeed if you irrigate regularly. In that climate it would probably appreciate some afternoon shade but I guess shade is a luxury in Texas.
Are you considering this as a landscape tree or a bonsai? If it is in a pot it might be a challenge keeping the roots from getting too hot.
Hopefully someone from your neck of the woods will respond.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Flowering cherries really do appreciate a good dormancy period but if you are in zone 8 you can probably succeed if you irrigate regularly. In that climate it would probably appreciate some afternoon shade but I guess shade is a luxury in Texas.
Are you considering this as a landscape tree or a bonsai? If it is in a pot it might be a challenge keeping the roots from getting too hot.
Hopefully someone from your neck of the woods will respond.
Yeah, was hoping to bonsai. My main bench area gets morning sun to about 1-2pm and then complete shade.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That sounds doable to me. It is exactly what I would recommend. Choice is yours and it would still be good to here from someone local to you or the conditions you have to work with.

Top Bottom