prunus cuttings

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
so i had these cuttings from a white petal cherry tree (think it’s a yoshiro) for 2 weeks now and i left them for the weekend (wanted to bring them with me but i got caught up and was running late) with a plastic garbage bag over them thinking that was enough to keep them moist but when i came back they all dried up. no idea what killed them but when i look back i should’ve poked some holes in it for oxygen.

any tips you guys have for next time? how does the whole keep them moist thing works. are they better off in a greenhouse and spray them twice a day or a plastic bag works better as long as they get some air time?

i plan to take some more cuttings today
EAA7A18C-7848-4A29-956A-78E15DE3154C.jpeg

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
would the softwood be optimum or the semi hardwood?
and i just noticed fruits are starting to bud also is it still safe to take cuttings now?7783D24F-F44D-434B-881F-4A015EBC9310.jpeg

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hardwood cuttings in late winter I think would be the best option
what about the softwood can i take them now or wait a week or 2 for the leaves to harden? they seem to be actively growing atm

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've had good luck with the softwood cuttings just after they "harden" on Mt Fuji and Kwanzan. (end of May, beginning of June) I cut them just where they joined the old wood and then into perlite with bottom heat and artificial light. Cuttings were 6-8" and removed all but about 4 leaves.

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had good luck with the softwood cuttings just after they "harden" on Mt Fuji and Kwanzan. (end of May, beginning of June) I cut them just where they joined the old wood and then into perlite with bottom heat and artificial light. Cuttings were 6-8" and removed all but about 4 leaves.
ahhh that gave me some insight. i don’t have any heating pads nor suitable artificial lights but i do have a greenhouse, gonna have to make do with that. i plan to do some kwanzan next week also when the leaves have fully harden off

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have had some luck with straight play sand, cuttings, clear plastic bag, rubber band and placing them on the north side of a structure. Somewhere will there will be 0 direct sunlight but tons of bright light. It stays incredibly moist / humid in the bag and if the pot needs water just taking it off do a light water and then mist the bag before putting it back on.

Most the time I have not needed to water the sand again. Wait 4-8 weeks (or more) depending on what you are rooting. I have started using clear plastic cups as I can see the roots when / if they come. Kind of helps me as I am new to taking cuttings.

I think there is a huge science to this and many others could give far better examples but I have seen things like MSUs 3 second mist every 2 minutes way of doing cuttings and some people just stick them in the dirt under a bench and let nature do its thing. I have seen both be successful. I guess it depends on how far into the weeds you want to go ?

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have had some luck with straight play sand, cuttings, clear plastic bag, rubber band and placing them on the north side of a structure. Somewhere will there will be 0 direct sunlight but tons of bright light. It stays incredibly moist / humid in the bag and if the pot needs water just taking it off do a light water and then mist the bag before putting it back on.

Most the time I have not needed to water the sand again. Wait 4-8 weeks (or more) depending on what you are rooting. I have started using clear plastic cups as I can see the roots when / if they come. Kind of helps me as I am new to taking cuttings.

I think there is a huge science to this and many others could give far better examples but I have seen things like MSUs 3 second mist every 2 minutes way of doing cuttings and some people just stick them in the dirt under a bench and let nature do its thing. I have seen both be successful. I guess it depends on how far into the weeds you want to go ?
i’ve seen local pinus rigida and bloodgood seedlings be grown in straight up sand so i’m not taken back by this method. i think i’ll try both ways, play sand and peat moss/ perlite

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have noticed that I sometimes love my cuttings to death. Now I have become a bit more heartless and it seems to work better. Also the sand I like because I had issues with rot etc with anything that retained water more/ might have had fungus or bacteria in it.

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have noticed that I sometimes love my cuttings to death. Now I have become a bit more heartless and it seems to work better. Also the sand I like because I had issues with rot etc with anything that retained water more/ might have had fungus or bacteria in it.
how often a day do you uncover them to mist/ water?

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I used to all the time. Now I might the first day as often as I can. Luckily work from home allows that. But then after the first day or so I will just let them go. I am also trying cut milk jugs and water bottles to allow more air exchanges in the bottle so they don’t get stale or moldy etc. on some rose cuttings I have even let the top completely off and it seems like that works well.
I have watched a lot of mike Kincaid on YouTube he is not a bonsai guy but he is a master propagator

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I used to all the time. Now I might the first day as often as I can. Luckily work from home allows that. But then after the first day or so I will just let them go. I am also trying cut milk jugs and water bottles to allow more air exchanges in the bottle so they don’t get stale or moldy etc. on some rose cuttings I have even let the top completely off and it seems like that works well.
I have watched a lot of mike Kincaid on YouTube he is not a bonsai guy but he is a master propagator
do you take softwood cuttings from branches that are still producing new leaves or you wait?

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is very dependent on the type of plant I am going for. I have mainly used softwood cuttings. For example on a burning bush I am doing I waited till I could bend the branch and hear a snap almost like when you snap a green pea that clean snap of softwood. Not hardwood. Then I did the above.

Again depends on what you are taking cuttings for. I am NOT A PRO AT ALL and am learning a lot this growing season already. Please take my advice with a grain of salt and ask others who are much more qualified as well 😂

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here is another method I am trying. 1 plastic cup filled with soaked perlite, in a bowl of about 1/2 inch water, then the boxwood cuttings inside of that with a plastic cup with a hole in the top placed on top, all under grow lights in a high natural light area.

keeps the humidity up, perlite doesn’t completely dry out due to the capillary effects I hope, and then the small hole on top allows some heat/ air flow to keep things clean inside?

We’ll see if it works!

Attachments

• 79635094-9E87-47EA-8496-7597851F8720.jpeg
    79635094-9E87-47EA-8496-7597851F8720.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 14

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is another method I am trying. 1 plastic cup filled with soaked perlite, in a bowl of about 1/2 inch water, then the boxwood cuttings inside of that with a plastic cup with a hole in the top placed on top, all under grow lights in a high natural light area.

keeps the humidity up, perlite doesn’t completely dry out due to the capillary effects I hope, and then the small hole on top allows some heat/ air flow to keep things clean inside?

We’ll see if it works!
hey fingers crossed!!

ok so if you look at the picture with the 2 cuttings on the left has some immature leaves and the right has 2 whole leaves with one cut in half.

the one on the right i cut the immature leaves off, i don’t know if that would affect it in any way. which would have the better success rate?

Attachments

• D6BDAECB-6583-4C51-81EB-962ED67BA58F.jpeg
    D6BDAECB-6583-4C51-81EB-962ED67BA58F.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 8

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
hey fingers crossed!!

ok so if you look at the picture with the 2 cuttings on the left has some immature leaves and the right has 2 whole leaves with one cut in half.

the one on the right i cut the immature leaves off, i don’t know if that would affect it in any way. which would have the better success rate?
If there are those immature leaves coming out I usually snip them off (again a good experiment maybe it helps to keep them not sure yet). I think either should work as long as it was taken at the right time has enough spots for root growth, add a rooting powder or gel or something and then kept warm and moist either should work.

Again blind leading the blind haha. Here are some good videos this is the guy I was talking about

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If there are those immature leaves coming out I usually snip them off (again a good experiment maybe it helps to keep them not sure yet). I think either should work as long as it was taken at the right time has enough spots for root growth, add a rooting powder or gel or something and then kept warm and moist either should work.

Again blind leading the blind haha. Here are some good videos this is the guy I was talking about

if these fail i’m coming back for you hahah nah i have the general idea just a few things i wasn’t sure of but i think i got this. thanks for the pointers my man

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
On the plants I dont know about i will take some cutting and put them in soil some in water and some covered. I have had success with all 3 methods with different species. Some species success with all 3

Top Bottom