Prunus flowering cherry

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As an Xmas gift from my lovely other half, she said she would (part) pay for a nice, more developed tree to add to the benches. So today we took a trip to my local bonsai place, owned by Chris Thomas, Dragon Bonsai.

Some really nice options for the budget, including a fair sized white pine and a really stunning oak.. But I would have never have guessed this would be what I selected. Something about this one hooked me.

Talking with Chris after, the tree belonged to Ian Stewartson, who passed away last year, a good friend of his.

Can't wait to see it in bloom.
IMG_20171223_165758.jpg

IMG_20171223_165834.jpg IMG_20171223_165854.jpg IMG_20171223_165929.jpg IMG_20171223_165952.jpg

Reaction score
Cool! That's some nice shohin bones right there. Do you know what colour it flowers in?

Chris is awesome, please say hi from me when you see him again. (Clog-wearing Dutchman, he'll know)

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Cool! That's some nice shohin bones right there. Do you know what colour it flowers in?

Chris is awesome, please say hi from me when you see him again. (Clog-wearing Dutchman, he'll know)

Nope. Didn't ask for the suprise.

Need to see him more. Should be collecting with him soon. Will give your regards.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Excellent! Hard to find good cherry bonsai, would be great if you knew what the variety is.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would not know the cultivar, there are so many, but they are all very pretty! Make sure you show us the flowering please.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would not know the cultivar, there are so many, but they are all very pretty! Make sure you show us the flowering please.

Right, at least until the flowers open, but so far it looks a lot like Punus cistena or Prunus cerasifera 'Pissardii' (Both with red leaves and pink-white flowers)

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Without any bonsai yet at the new place,the cherries and flowering pear are what lifts my spirit when the buds look like that.....I don’t care where I see them as long as I see them this time of year.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oh while I remember. There was some crossed wires somewhere as Ian Stewardson just won an award at the Swindon show.. so it wasn't his tree.. I'll ask Chris next time I see him.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Absolutely beautiful. What a fortunate acquisition! And a lovely gift—you belong to the same club that I do: men who wake up each morning with women better than we deserve. Cheers.

Top Bottom