Prunus I.D.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I’ve been growing this ‘plant nursery’ throw-away for several years now. I think it is fair to say that it is a Prunus but other than that I do not know what it is. I’ve been holding off asking for an I.D. until I could photograph it well and now that it has just begun to develop fruit today (for the very first time!) I think the time is right.

1). It has finely-toothed serrated leaves – dark green top, reddish brown under.

2). Very pale pink (almost white) 5-petaled blossoms.

3). The fruit seems to be oval.

4). The trunk is typically Prunus, shiny red with horizontal lenticels.

Well? Would anyone like to put me out of my misery and I.D. this thing?

Attachments

• Prunus 001 april-29-2017 .JPG
    Prunus 001 april-29-2017 .JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Prunus 003.JPG
    Prunus 003.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Prunus 004.JPG
    Prunus 004.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Prunus 005.JPG
    Prunus 005.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Prunus 03.JPG
    Prunus 03.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Prunus 010.JPG
    Prunus 010.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 45

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Do Malus have such shiny, red bark?

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
depends on the variety, but yes they can when young. Looks like Robinson but i'm no expert
Thank you very much. I am going to look up this 'Robinson' and see what I can find out about it.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have a Robison that is light pink, but there are so many varities

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The leaves resemble crabapple. But the flowers are from Prunus gender.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes, I see now. I’ve been spending time with Google. Some plum varieties have near-white blossom that are 5-petaled, the ends of which are NOT split. They also have green to red, serrated leaves.

But as far as the bark goes ….. “The bark of plum trees is dark and does not have horizontal bars.” lenticels.

http://www.vcbf.ca/plum-versus-cherry-trees-how-to-tell-the-difference

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Looks like one of the varieties of Prunus cerasifera

Does to me too.
The leaves need more sun to go red

+1

Have a look at the base of the leaf: in most species of "cherry" and for some plums (same family), there are sorts of small warts at the end of the petiole. Here are pictures from Prunus avium (the wild cherry, very common in Europe, with a bark very similar to that of your tree), Prunus serrulata 'Accolade', and a fruiting cherry tree:

IMG_7220.JPG
IMG_7221.JPG

IMG_7223.JPG

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
+1

Have a look at the base of the leaf: in most species of "cherry" and for some plums (same family), there are sorts of small warts at the end of the petiole. Here are pictures from Prunus avium (the wild cherry, very common in Europe, with a bark very similar to that of your tree), Prunus serrulata 'Accolade', and a fruiting cherry tree:

View attachment 146344
View attachment 146345

View attachment 146346
Yes. Good point. I do have a cherry potensai and it does have those 'warts'. The subject tree does not have them.

In my desperation I've been clicking the Google and chasing anything that might give a clue. I think the cherry plum is the best guess but as far as the purple leaves and dark fruit go it must be a cultivar such such as P. pissardii (Carrière) L.H. Bailey (P. 'Atropurpurea') which are described here: "These purple-foliage forms, also have dark purple fruit. They can have white or pink flowers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_plum

Unfortunately, the only photo examples they show are with red fruit. Anyway ..... purple foliage, white or pink blossoms, and dark fruit. Sounds like a winner. A Cherry plum cultivar?

Top Bottom