Prunus ID help please

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ive seen a few of these in full flower around town, I love the small flowers. Is this a cherry or a plum? Anyone know the cultivar name?
253E451B-5FD9-41F7-8366-C8625DFD70A2.jpegE483B6FA-7DFA-441E-B85E-12BEF22C61DB.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Whatever it is, it sure is pretty.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well considering where you live . Looking at the flowers especially. I’m at a loss to come up with a reason not to say . Prunus serrulata . Japanese flowering cherry . At end of the day why would it not be

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I managed to collect two of these today, they were suckers growing about 15 feet away from the parent tree. They did have a fair amount of fine roots. I’m hopeful they will make it, I have had good luck with the suckers on the past.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I managed to collect two of these today, they were suckers growing about 15 feet away from the parent tree. They did have a fair amount of fine roots. I’m hopeful they will make it, I have had good luck with the suckers on the past.
I’m jealous .

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
well considering where you live . Looking at the flowers especially. I’m at a loss to come up with a reason not to say . Prunus serrulata . Japanese flowering cherry . At end of the day why would it not be
I think I just figured out the mystery. It’s a Prunus cerasefera “Krauter Vesuvius”, a flowering plum.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not saying your wrong . We have them here as there cold tolerant . You did not mention the foliage . All the ones here are purple or at least not green . And the bark don’t look correct . Again compared to trees here . . In general cherry plum is planted where Japanese cherry will not flourish . Run a single full size leaf on a neutral background thru a good plant ID app . Or pics here to compare to info on each

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not saying your wrong . We have them here as there cold tolerant . You did not mention the foliage . All the ones here are purple or at least not green . And the bark don’t look correct . Again compared to trees here . . In general cherry plum is planted where Japanese cherry will not flourish . Run a single full size leaf on a neutral background thru a good plant ID app . Or pics here to compare to info on each
I’m still waiting on leaf out but I’m pretty sure they are purple.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m still waiting on leaf out but I’m pretty sure they are purple.
Again it depends on location . And think about source of plant . Cherry/ plum is more cold hardy . And used as such . If the leaves are purple very good indication . Not sure about Japanese cherry . But plums will cross pollinate . Cherry plum is a fav food of birds so if the plants . Are propagated in the wild . Difficult to say what exactly cultivar they are . But pink flower combined with purple leaf . No 1 is cherry plum . Of some sort . Landscape tree mist likely a cultivar . Propagated for those particular flowers . All the ones here seem very similar . Bark is a lot more grey then yours . But most likely a more cold hardy cultivar personally I think they are under used as bonsai . Fast growing tough tree . Very showy flowers . The purple foliage is a like or hate thing for most

Top Bottom