Prunus Incisa help

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi everyone

I will try and keep this short and to the point. I am fairly new to Bonsai as I have not kept one in over 20 years because I never really had a back yard or the Time to dedicate to one/them.

But with that said I looked for many years to try and get a dwarf prunus and last week while on vacation I found a nursery on the way home in Virginia ( about 6 hours from my house in NYC ) and they had three of them. I was so happy as the owner told me he had them for about 5 years in the 3 gallon pot.
I was so happy That I grabbed one without fully checking the foliage. This turned out to be a big mistake as when I finally got home that night I waited until the next morning to inspect my prized find to me it was a prize.
I quickly got up that morning at 7am and noticed the tree was in desperate need of help. I was heart broken as now I needed to try and save this amazing tree.
So off I went to get a pot new , bonsai soil and wire Without fully understanding what I did was probably a mistake.
So I removed 50% of the old soil and roots as most were rotted and over grown in its original pot and cut and removed about 60% of the old shoots and branches as it did not have the shape I wanted.
Well after three hours I was done.
Just trying to give background before posting what’s was wrong with the tree.
All the leaves on the tree have black spots/ little holes and some are yellow.
my questions are do I give full sun light or keep it in the shade ? I had it in the shade for three days and it looked ok and now I placed it in full sun and the leaves are darkening to lush green on some leaves.
Do I give it a fungicide spray to treat? At what point do I give feed as I read this type of tree need 0-10-10 until fall starts. I really love the tree and need to save it.
But I think I may have killed it with live. It’s maintaining the leaves that are still on the tree but they all look sickly.
I purchased it on the 11th of July
I water it every morning until water swaps out the bottom.
many help would be greatly appreciated
Michael 5AFCE31A-9FDA-49FA-9ABA-5B39605224B9.jpeg38E5FAA3-AA10-4802-9AC2-5182A79090AA.jpegC5B6DA93-B861-4D43-9853-999A1C094826.jpegCDA0782A-F70A-499D-BC87-64A1817D949A.jpegBC7C2F52-D005-4B53-A461-26188A297213.jpeg12BBBB8F-4E61-4506-BF21-12AD0C09C486.jpegD6CB972F-84BD-4F4A-A636-DBCF919FCB02.jpegB774532C-12A7-4D52-A374-C76C092E8F5C.jpeg30C3DBCC-9B88-40EF-BD7F-83FA5F9044ED.jpeg091AAC2B-4826-41C0-916B-04D482DA565D.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know. They are pretty tuff and it has a great root system. I am not clear on why you repotted it in the heat of mid summer.
BTW, can you nam,e the nursery? I live in VA.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Don't know. They are pretty tuff and it has a great root system. I am not clear on why you repotted it in the heat of mid summer.
BTW, can you nam,e the nursery? I live in VA.
I didn’t no that I was not suppose to do that until a few days ago. Again I am really new as it’s been years since I kept one. Here is the name of the place.
Michael773B8029-6A5A-464B-B669-F792BE6FFD28.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It was on route 113 and there was a big sign that said rare plants right about the line from Virginia into Maryland. Hope this helps as I don’t have the receipt only the tag.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The leaves on mine start looking like that right about now, as the heat of summer begins. Perhaps they don't like the summer heat, as it's my understanding that they are native to mountainous areas (Mt Fuji?). But FWIW, it always blooms beautifully in the spring and seems no worse for wear after the fact. I am surprised by how much water it wants and perhaps during its next repot it might need a more moisture retentive soil.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The leaves on mine start looking like that right about now, as the heat of summer begins. Perhaps they don't like the summer heat, as it's my understanding that they are native to mountainous areas (Mt Fuji?). But FWIW, it always blooms beautifully in the spring and seems no worse for wear after the fact. I am surprised by how much water it wants and perhaps during its next repot it might need a more moisture retentive soil.
Thank you so much for the reply. Do you have any tips for me? How much sun a day does yours get ?

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Just leave it alone and it should be fine. Most prunus seem to pout some. In the winter spray with a fungicide periodically as they are prone to fungus. Shouldn’t repot in summer but I think you may be fine. You can wire some in the winter but carefully as they are brittle. Outside of an early haircut let it grow strong. Most beginners love the trees to death.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am thinking it will be fine too. The leaves do get to looking a bit funky but they get over it. I have 8 of them in a raised bed of regular topsoil. They were a bit spotted like yours over a month ago but all the new growth now looks great. Mine get about 4 - 5 hours sun mid day.
BTW, thanks for providing info as to location of nursery. I have been wanting to visit the Eastern Shore for a few years.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
This is your problem. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=86 Fuji cherries are very susceptible to it.
Bordeaux Mix is a potential preventative if it's available where you live (I can't remember the spraying regime offhand, but probably in autumn and spring).

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is your problem. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=86 Fuji cherries are very susceptible to it.
Bordeaux Mix is a potential preventative if it's available where you live (I can't remember the spraying regime offhand, but probably in autumn and spring).
I don't think so. I don't see any signs of bacterial canker and I have seen several dozens of cases of canker. I am seeing a simple leaf spot that my plants had about 6 weeks ago. Sprayed twice with fungicide and new flush shows absolutely no leaf spot. All my crabs, hawthorns and prunus had a bit of spot before spraying. Some light some heavier now none.
Bacterial cankers are very serious.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I don't think so. I don't see any signs of bacterial canker and I have seen several dozens of cases of canker. I am seeing a simple leaf spot that my plants had about 6 weeks ago. Sprayed twice with fungicide and new flush shows absolutely no leaf spot. All my crabs, hawthorns and prunus had a bit of spot before spraying. Some light some heavier now none.
Bacterial cankers are very serious.
I was talking to the original poster, not you. There are clearly shotholes in the leaves of his tree.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was talking to the original poster, not you. There are clearly shotholes in the leaves of his tree.
I know. We are talking about the same plant. In the original poster's pictures I do not see any canker at all and no dieback that canker would cause. What I see is a newbee with a new plant that is in too much of a hurry to get where he is going. He has already done too much too soon. Still, if he takes care I think it will make it. This plant is growing like a weed for me and I just had a few cuttings root as well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi
Thank you for the great read but I have to say I don’t think this is what my tree has as what is being described does not fit the bill.
But I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to post a reply.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know. We are talking about the same plant. In the original poster's pictures I do not see any canker at all and no dieback that canker would cause. What I see is a newbee with a new plant that is in too much of a hurry to get where he is going. He has already done too much too soon. Still, if he takes care I think it will make it. This plant is growing like a weed for me and I just had a few cuttings root as well.

I think you Hit the nail on the head here with me being inexperienced. I hope your right and that the tree rebounds. But at what point do I start treatment with a fungicide? I am certain after hours of reading today that this is probably the cause. I should have never purchased the tree but what can I say ????? I have done too much way to fast and at the wrong time but now I need to keep the tree alive and well.
Michael

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you Hit the nail on the head here with me being inexperienced. I hope your right and that the tree rebounds. But at what point do I start treatment with a fungicide? I am certain after hours of reading today that this is probably the cause. I should have never purchased the tree but what can I say ????? I have done too much way to fast and at the wrong time but now I need to keep the tree alive and well.
Michael
Don't beat yourself up for buying a great plant that could reward you over and over through the years.
Spray a systemic fungicide early morning or early evening, not during hottest part of day. I use Infuse but I mix it a gallon or 2 at a time. You should be able to go to Lowes, HD or and decent garden center and buy a pre mixed bottle of fungicide for your use. Consider a rose spray but ask the clerk.
Best luck. Stick with it. :)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use Bayer 3 in 1 Rose Care. They use a lot of water, need sun but the leaves start to get pretty beat up early, like now. Remember, it's a very early plant, leafing and flowering in early mid April here, almost always past its prime by my club's meeting the 4th Wed.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Don't beat yourself up for buying a great plant that could reward you over and over through the years.
Spray a systemic fungicide early morning or early evening, not during hottest part of day. I use Infuse but I mix it a gallon or 2 at a time. You should be able to go to Lowes, HD or and decent garden center and buy a pre mixed bottle of fungicide for your use. Consider a rose spray but ask the clerk.
Best luck. Stick with it. :)
Thanks once again for the vote of confidence. I will shot over to the local nursery tomorrow to see what they have.
will post what o was able to get BEFORE I make another mustang LOL

Top Bottom