Prunus Incisa help

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By the way, I think your 0-10-10 fertilizer is a waste of money if you are using kelp. I personally would throw it away and augment with fish emulsion.
I don't expect everyone to agree or to get the same results but it is what keeps me and my plants happy. Not looking to start a fan club, just wanting to share my experiences.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
By the way, I think your 0-10-10 fertilizer is a waste of money if you are using kelp. I personally would throw it away and augment with fish emulsion.
I don't expect everyone to agree or to get the same results but it is what keeps me and my plants happy. Not looking to start a fan club, just wanting to share my experiences.
Not disagreeing with you at all here. From what I have read only not from experience it seems all the feeding for these trees is different based on season. Seeing I got the tree in mid July I feel like I have missed some important feeding, pruning repotting etc. so I am going to start your approach as soon as the flowers drop if she even gives off flowers.
But let me ask you this real quick. What months are you feeding the kelp and are you feeding the fish throughout the year or only during certain months. I can only follow what I have read and it’s completely different from what you are doing so I will need some help. In addition I have feed a one time feed of trace element Frits. Doesn’t this compensate the missing elements ? In addition I am to feed right after flowing miracle grow until mid spring. There is so much to learn and I am excited to see your method is working and more simplistic than what peter Adams says to do.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't write the book on this but here it is. Fish emulsion and kelp are sprayed throughout the growing season starting when foliage comes in and until leaves start to change. Pretty much April through September. During the most active growing period, about May, and June, I throw a bit of miracle grow their way. I do the fish and kelp about every week until it is hot like now and I back off a bit.
Everything in a bonsai pot, and then some, gets fish and kelp primarily. All of my feeding is foliar to a slight run off. On my plants in pond baskets I mix in a bit of osmocote or organic granules when I plant them. Generally I use osmocote for deciduous and organic granules for evergreens. Not preaching this, just saying I am happy with my results.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well I think she is out of the woods as I have not seen any signs of what I talked about in my first post. I have have decided to wait until next season to start shaping the main body of the tree as she is becoming extremely stiff so I don’t want to break it.
Michael
E8DD289C-AAC0-49D7-9362-73EB68E29342.jpeg06931E5E-29B0-46CE-BDD4-CDC9039DAEC6.jpeg2B671670-34FF-4858-BFB7-F2BC5F3ABA60.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well it’s been officially a month since I got her and she is looking good. The only thing I see that is off is the leaves are not dark green and I would like to know is this do to a lack of feed? I have been tempted to add some miracle grow every other week but don’t think it’s the season for it.

I also want to ensure the true has enough strength built up for this upcoming winter.

I did add trace elements Frits again in a small dose as I don’t want to over fertilize. Are the color of the leaves correct for this tree ? I see so many variants of prunus that I can even be certain what I have is incisa anymore. Lol

any feed back would be greatly appreciated
Michael
916A7DDD-8325-47E8-9BC2-A3727264F640.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi everyone

today I noticed these few leaves and cannot find anything on why this would happen. The only thing I did differently this week was add a tiny amount of kelp fertilizer heavily diluted in water and did a foliage feed. Or are the leaves just starting to changed cause it’s that time of year lol I live in NYC and the temps are still in the mid to low 80s
I just want to say that before asking for advice

Michael

47D70C16-37E8-4903-BE35-E4974D8F6606.jpegD1AC3CB6-7C15-47AF-96BD-60D75374942E.jpeg87F1E487-1433-4917-A2B6-EFF52339AF91.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looking good.
Thank you. Next month I will prune her back a little and wait for next season to wire again and start the process of really shaping the tree to what I want it to look like. I still don’t know if that will be the front or the back of the tree. I have high hopes for this tree and I am taking it real slow. I don’t think I will repot it this up coming season but one never knows. It all depends on the growth and of course if I find a perfect pot for it.
michael

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am looking forward to digging mine late winter and styling them a bit before replanting them. They are much to close together.
My cuttings were doing ok but then failed. I think my timing was off and I got to it too late. Hirt's Gardens still has some 4 inch pots but I am a bit broke right now.
I still have not been able to visit the Nursery on 113 that you got yours at.
Best luck.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am looking forward to digging mine late winter and styling them a bit before replanting them. They are much to close together.
My cuttings were doing ok but then failed. I think my timing was off and I got to it too late. Hirt's Gardens still has some 4 inch pots but I am a bit broke right now.
I still have not been able to visit the Nursery on 113 that you got yours at.
Best luck.
I have been trying to find this pot and same color but have had no luck anywhere.
Michael
FF465A0F-7B91-450F-8937-0DFE400B3307.jpeg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Going somewhere this tree. Look forward to it flowering in spring!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well I have commissioned a pot maker to make the pot in the picture above. She told me about a month for it to be ready. As I get pics I will keep you all posted. I have asked her to make it 16” x 6” deep. I plan on keeping the tree in this pot for many years to come. When I am ready to repot I will just cut back the root structure and put the tree right back into the same pot. Lol going to have it glazed in a special shade of blue something like this.
Michael
504546F5-C4F8-48A5-8D75-DC0713E4F07B.jpegC71525F1-C446-42FC-935A-5FF37345BB80.jpegE8B1E67E-9196-4F0A-835F-BE3A5ACB6701.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well I just received a slice of perfection from the pot maker. As you can see this color will work amazing with any bonsai out there. I can’t thank her enough for all her efforts in creating a custom color for me. Wow if you need a pot and color this is the go to place forestinnpottery.com

I will post more pics one the pot is being made.
Enjoy

michael

Attachments

• 76DB72DF-6198-4BD3-B4CC-0E14EF0D87ED.jpeg
    76DB72DF-6198-4BD3-B4CC-0E14EF0D87ED.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 48
  • E2C5194E-61D9-45B0-A1B8-12CB340C9AC1.jpeg
    E2C5194E-61D9-45B0-A1B8-12CB340C9AC1.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 49

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I just received a slice of perfection from the pot maker. As you can see this color will work amazing with any bonsai out there. I can’t thank her enough for all her efforts in creating a custom color for me. Wow if you need a pot and color this is the go to place forestinnpottery.com

I will post more pics one the pot is being made.
Enjoy

michael

I've commissioned a couple of large pots from Justine myself for my redwoods :) The first set weren't quite what I was looking for and she's now going "mad scientist" for me one try 2. I did end up buying 2 of the 3 from the first attempt though. I put a gambel oak in one and an umbrella tree in the other. Very happy with both pots!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've commissioned a couple of large pots from Justine myself for my redwoods :) The first set weren't quite what I was looking for and she's now going "mad scientist" for me one try 2. I did end up buying 2 of the 3 from the first attempt though. I put a gambel oak in one and an umbrella tree in the other. Very happy with both pots!
She definitely works hard to please. Can you when you have time post some pics? Would love to see them.

Top Bottom