Prunus Incisa help

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
She definitely works hard to please. Can you when you have time post some pics? Would love to see them.

Sure.

One is in this progression thread I started a few weeks back for one of my umbrella trees:

The other I just started a progression thread for today so I could link it rather than continue to hijack your thread :)

The pots there originally planned for my redwoods. After she got the shapes carved out and was ready to stain and texture them, she proposed starting over and going "mad scientist" and trying some different techniques to get a rough bark appearance for the redwoods. I agreed, but later realized two of the pots she did build would work well for me for these two trees.

I'm currently waiting for the results of her experimentation but I was clear with her that I'm not in a big hurry. Even were she to get the pots to me today, I couldn't use them til spring now. And even then, I might need a year or two to train those trees down into whatever she ends up making for me.

I'll be very interested to see your pot when it's complete too. That sample looks amazing!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Omg them pots are amazing I think you have an amazing combination of tree and pot. In time your trees will fill in and the pots will compliment them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am looking forward to digging mine late winter and styling them a bit before replanting them. They are much to close together.
My cuttings were doing ok but then failed. I think my timing was off and I got to it too late. Hirt's Gardens still has some 4 inch pots but I am a bit broke right now.
I still have not been able to visit the Nursery on 113 that you got yours at.
Best luck.
What month do you plan to dig them up? I am sure they are much bigger now than when you last shared pictures with me. Also did you get a chance to visit the place I sent you? I am sure they still have two of them left lol.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice to see this one doing well. I had my doubts initially!
Thank you. I too was doubtful as the tree was very neglected when I purchased it. I have taken it real slow after learning so much as this tree from what I have read needs different care based on the season. It also loves water lots of water it can handle two big waterings a day and as long as you have great drainage there are no issues. I will try and get some pics of what I believe are the flowering buds. I am extremely excited to see what color the flowers are as when I purchased it the nursery told me they were light pink. We shall see.
Michael

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What month do you plan to dig them up? I am sure they are much bigger now than when you last shared pictures with me. Also did you get a chance to visit the place I sent you? I am sure they still have two of them left lol.
It really depends on the weather I probably late Feb. They bloom early but I got them after they bloomed so I guess I need to keep an eye on them.
I have not been able to get away and I am a bit broke so I may not get there until spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here are what I think are flower buds but I could be wrong as I don’t have the experience yet on this tree. From what I have read it takes many years for this type of tree to develop flowers so I hope I get lucky with this one.
Take a look and let me know.
Michael
B08AE6B5-A283-4DFA-B373-068D7CCA5BF2.jpegE7290B5C-3764-4456-8AE3-EB4ED253C3EE.jpeg27B79C6A-6028-40D5-9CE9-244058A59CE6.jpegBABC7CFE-DCEA-4091-AAFC-25C1671DDAAA.jpeg0451F637-8394-4361-A45F-195561C65404.jpegF2F52947-3938-4708-84AC-77328DBB037D.jpeg7CBCA15E-AB5F-4D00-9226-B6D4C9E9E938.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well after countless hours of research for a style that I want this tree to look like is here. If you look at the side be side it appears that my tree could resemble the master piece on the right. It has all the main features but not styled yet. I am assuming that this all needs to be done in late winter as this is what I have read. So I will pick up 4.5 mm wire and some rafia for this project.
Michael

Attachments

• 30A594D2-8FD7-43BB-83B3-5A4D4CC4C66B.jpeg
    30A594D2-8FD7-43BB-83B3-5A4D4CC4C66B.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 50
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
quick question the picture of the spectacular bonsai I posted is it styled as a literati or is it an informal upright ?
Thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Has anyone use this method of bending a large trunk or branch? If so how did it turn out? I plan on doing this to shape my tree and purchased everything but the rope. I don't know if rope should be used or raffia.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
YouTube.

Michael

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well the pot maker sent me the start of my pot.
Can’t wait to she starts shaping it and than the glaze. Wow
View attachment 335528

Whoa! I didn't realize the pot you were having made was so big!

I'd love to see it when it's done. I think it's well out of the range of what traditionalists would call a "bonsai pot" for a tree your size but I bet it will be gorgeous in that blue!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Whoa! I didn't realize the pot you were having made was so big!

I'd love to see it when it's done. I think it's well out of the range of what traditionalists would call a "bonsai pot" for a tree your size but I bet it will be gorgeous in that blue!
Thank you so much for the kind words. I don’t plan on changing the pot for many years to come and will just repot the tree every year back into it as that was the plan. But the pot looks a lot bigger than the picture from what I understand It’s 16” round and about 6 “ high and still is in the process of being shaped. If it’s to big I am ok with it as in a few years hopefully my tree will fill it in and if not I really don’t mind. I could always find another prunus mume to fill it but I doubt it as they are hard to come by.
I will try my best to make it work.

michael

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I have months before I can proceed I decided to look at pictures to determine the best coarse of action to proceed with design and shape of my tree. Although my tree will never look exactly like the master pieces it's more about getting a good foundation to start with. Below are three examples A B or C. I am leaning more to B but what is everyone thoughts on this project?

Please let me know

Michael
20201025_125135.jpg20201025_125211.jpg20201025_125035.jpg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a nice specimen you have. It has very nice trunk movement at this time. If it was mine, I would let it follow literati style. I think it will be like this in the future.
20201025_125211.jpg
Good luck to you!
p/s: it is too risky to transplant the tree in July, but the tree survived ! :)
Thụ Thoại

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is a nice specimen you have. It has very nice trunk movement at this time. If it was mine, I would let it follow literati style. I think it will be like this in the future.
View attachment 336600
Good luck to you!
p/s: it is too risky to transplant the tree in July, but the tree survived ! :)
Thụ Thoại
Thank you so much for the kind words. Yes I was surprised as well it did well after the transplant not to mention the tree was in bad shape when I got it.
I really love this tree and hope to have it a life time. I can’t thank you enough for taking the time out to send me such a great blue print for the future.
I like all three but B definitely now looks better after you assistance. I am assuming in your drawing that the small branches that do not have yellow lines are to be removed?

I can trim them but as I was advised not to do any major pruning and trunk spitting until the new year. but I thinks it’s ok from what I read that after it flowers I can prune back hard so that’s what I will do.

thanks again and I will post some pictures of the progress.
Sure wish it was spring already so I can get to work.
Michael

Top Bottom