Prunus Kojo-no-mai - seed collecting?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

My prunus Kojo-no-mai is full of small red cherries. I was wondering.. How would I best go about colelcting and sowing?

Typically, cherries need stratfication. However, this tree is very early with the seeds. Does this cherry germinate in summer without stratification? Has anyone tried this before?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a Kojo No Mai...but have not done any propagation. I did do a quick google search and found this.

Seed:
Seed - requires 2 - 3 months cold stratification and is best sown in a cold frame as soon as it is ripe. Sow stored seed in a cold frame as early in the year as possible. Protect the seed from mice etc. The seed can be rather slow, sometimes taking 18 months to germinate. Prick out the seedlings into individual pots when they are large enough to handle. Grow them on in a greenhouse or cold frame for their first winter and plant them out in late spring or early summer of the following year.
Link to the quote above along with other propagation methods.
http://guide.makebonsai.com/bonsai_...=5113&Name=Prunus_incisa_Kojo-no-mai_(Thunb.)

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would try a double pronged approach. Take half of them and sow them in the ground this fall and let nature do the work. The rest I would artificially cold stratify and plant in the spring in peat an perlite.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cool! I did a google myself and did not get any relevant results. Thx!
Your quite welcome!:)
I've not always had success in google search for all my inquiries. Just lucked out this time. Good luck to you.

Sorry for the double post...having issues using mobile device. Had to go into the office and reply from my computer. For some reason..

Top Bottom