Prunus Lusitanica / Portugese Privet

ElyDave

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ely, Cambridge, UK, Zone 8 (whatever that means)
Picked one of these up before Christmas half price at the local nursery in a 24cm pot. Did nothing other than cut most of the top out of it to give the direction of new growth, and let it overwinter. Doing a bunch of spring repottings today, I knocked the pot off of this one to find some great shallow rootage. Repotted it into a 30cm shallow plastic training pot. Some good new buds coming, so looking good so far

P1060158.JPG

P1060159.JPG

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Picked one of these up before Christmas half price at the local nursery in a 24cm pot. Did nothing other than cut most of the top out of it to give the direction of new growth, and let it overwinter. Doing a bunch of spring repottings today, I knocked the pot off of this one to find some great shallow rootage. Repotted it into a 30cm shallow plastic training pot. Some good new buds coming, so looking good so far

View attachment 362610

View attachment 362611
I’ve got one of these, but I’ve not seen many as bonsai which doesn’t bode well for bonsaiability. I reckon it’ll work well with larger sized bonsai though so I’m planning on growing mine out a bit.

Looks like yours has an interesting start and the beginnings of a nice nebari.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Ligustrum family are known as tough customers and take well to bonsai techniques.
I smile when I see someone has paid money for one. Nurseries are not supposed to sell these here as they are environmental weeds and most gardeners in this area hate them due to having to pull seedlings out of the garden all the time.
We can collect 2 species from roadsides, gardens and nearby forest so I rarely look at small ones unless they have exceptional trunk shape and character for possible mini bonsai.
Have fun with your weeds.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Ligustrum family are known as tough customers and take well to bonsai techniques.
I smile when I see someone has paid money for one. Nurseries are not supposed to sell these here as they are environmental weeds and most gardeners in this area hate them due to having to pull seedlings out of the garden all the time.
We can collect 2 species from roadsides, gardens and nearby forest so I rarely look at small ones unless they have exceptional trunk shape and character for possible mini bonsai.
Have fun with your weeds.
This isn’t a ligustrum though, it’s a prunus. Known as Portuguese Laurel rather than privet, unless I’m mistaken about colloquial names.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Oopps. My apologies for not reading close enough. The leaves look much like the large leaf privet.
Prunus lusitanica is also listed as an environmental weed here. Known variously as 'laurel' or 'cherry laurel'. Birds eat the fruit and spread seeds far and wide so there are plenty of these growing here too. I have not collected any as they seem to have strong, straight trunks and quite open habit here.

ElyDave

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ely, Cambridge, UK, Zone 8 (whatever that means)
Apols, it is Portugese Laurel, not privet, can't think how I made that typo.

FWIW, I picked up three privet from the roadside last year as someone was remodelling their garden. The two that survived are on this years list to start shaping

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Oopps. My apologies for not reading close enough. The leaves look much like the large leaf privet.
Prunus lusitanica is also listed as an environmental weed here. Known variously as 'laurel' or 'cherry laurel'. Birds eat the fruit and spread seeds far and wide so there are plenty of these growing here too. I have not collected any as they seem to have strong, straight trunks and quite open habit here.
Yes that’s the one. They have potential for such interesting trunks and bark, even with the coarse growth and large leaves I’m surprised I haven’t seen more bonsai specimens.

Top Bottom